In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- As for the constitutional argument, the assumption seems to be that the principle of legislative supremacy is all-powerful.
- Ruse sticks to the New Testament view of God as ‘an all-powerful creator who acts out of pure love’.
- If the world really is controlled by a hidden all-powerful force of politicians and oil men, what chance have we got of changing things for the better?
- He has been denied his crown and denounced by the all-powerful Roman Empire and when he finds a state to grant him refuge, Rome threatens war.
- In Lee's dystopian vision of the world of entertainment, television is all-powerful and all-corrupting.
- How else can you describe an all-powerful king who goes so far as to let his creation choose whether to obey him or not?
- It seems to me that this presents a very wimpy view of what is supposed to be an omnipotent, all-powerful deity.
- Democratic but not liberal, it had a constitutionally all-powerful president with limited effective power.
- If she was so all-powerful, all-knowing, then how come her duties seemed to consist of serving the drinks?
- He had the opportunity to take the chairmanship of the all-powerful Urban Strategy and Governance committee.
- I do not think there are any good evidential or other reasons for belief in a supreme deity, much less a benign and all-powerful one.
- Accessible, emotive, the ultimate conveyor or distorter of truth, the photograph is all-powerful.
- Any weakening in the all-powerful US economy could have a nasty flow-on effect.
- The all-powerful mill owners were forced to grudgingly accept that their workers were entitled to an annual holiday.
- To a believer, God is all-powerful and the ultimate owner of the heavens and earth.
- So that means that for five of the last eight years, all-powerful, unelected leaders have ruled over us.
- Eventually, our turn came around, and Ciaran and I were presented with the all-powerful microphone.
- By 1987 the Tories were all-powerful, and people were speculating Labour would never hold power again.
- I mean, those things were not too hard for a magical all-powerful guy like you to conjure up.
- Superman is the all-powerful being whose only weakness is kryptonite.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.