In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(thief/violation) presunto(miracle) supuesto(miracle) presunto
- Two of the alleged conspirators have already been set free in Germany for the same reason.
- One of them is about an alleged Cabinet split over the site of a nuclear waste dump.
- A French judge has been inquiring into the alleged bribes for the past two years.
- Police were also on the scene to carry out their own investigations about the alleged incident.
- His parents also complained about the alleged mistreatment of their son while he was in prison.
- Then a group of men, including the defendant, barged into the alleged victim's home.
- In the chase incident, he entered a shop to find the owner struggling with an alleged shoplifter.
- The fight broke out at about 3pm on Friday below deck after the pair got into an alleged row.
- As well as provoking mirth, the alleged meanness of Scots is also a powerful marketing tool.
- A man who provided a false alibi for an alleged attacker has been sent to jail for six months.
- The alleged activities include amassing a number of fake credit cards and fake passports.
- He said when the alleged getaway car tried to reverse outside Euston station, it was blocked by a bus.
- The jury watched a video showing some of the alleged conspirators in animated discussion.
- Two of their alleged accomplices, also previously living in Hamburg, are on the run.
- However, even his most severe critics now agree that the alleged flaw is largely a thing of the past.
- A court decided to fit the tagging device on one of the alleged attackers while they awaited trial.
- The alleged payments were detailed last month in a Senate report on the oil for food programme.
- It's a peculiar way to describe the alleged plotters, when you think about it, isn't it?
- The character of the locality must surely be judged as it was before the alleged nuisance began.
- The British Museum, too, says it knows nothing about any alleged fakes in its displays.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.