- The allophone occurs in onset position of stressed syllables whereas the unaspirated allophone [p] occurs after syllable-initial [s].
- A phone is a realization in sound of a phoneme, and an allophone is one such realization among others: for example, English /n/ is normally alveolar, but is dental before the dental fricative in ‘tenth’.
1(speaker)persona cuya lengua materna no es el francés ni el inglés
- In a worried report, a Université de Montréal demographer suggests that so many francophones are moving there that by 2021 allophones and anglophones will combine to form the majority of Montreal's population.
- Now that the Canadian and Quebec governments are trying to pick immigrants who already speak French or English, it will make it harder for allophones to do well here.
- Anglophone, francophone and allophone, we are Canadians, first of all.
- In Quebec, the linguistic majority abuses the groups they call anglophones and allophones.