In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1aliado masculinoaliada femeninothe Allies — los Aliados
- The war in Africa was to play a key role in the overall success of the Allies in World War Two.
- It was now clear: the Allies were fighting an undeclared war against the Bolsheviks.
- It was the first battle won by the Allies in World War Two and Hitler never won a battle after that.
- Rochdale could be justly proud of the role it played in helping the Allies to victory in World War Two.
- The most significant result of the raid was on morale, as the Allies had had few big victories to that date.
- A renewal of the war was unavoidable, and the Allies promptly formed the Seventh Coalition.
- What the Allies had not expected was that while they were preparing to win the long war, France would lose a short one.
- Already decorated with an Iron Cross, Gecas was later decorated for fighting for the Allies.
- If the Allies could acquire those machines and their keys, it would be a major help in decrypting Enigma.
- After the Nazi surrender, the Allies and Russia met at Potsdam, a suburb of Berlin.
- The Allies would not negotiate with a country that had plunged Europe into war twice in 30 years.
- Many Jews had fought for the Allies during World War Two and had developed their military skills as a result.
- How did the German experience of World War One trench warfare differ from that of the Allies?
- Other nations that fought for the Allies offered their support for the declaration.
- Montgomery wanted the Allies to use the power they had to get to Berlin before the Russians.
- Roosevelt and Stalin had not yet met, but as Allies they could be shown together.
- This skirmish against the Allies was fought just outside Paris, to the east of the city.
- This left Germany with only sixty divisions with which to repel the Allies on the Western Front.
- If the Allies controlled the rail junction, they could supply their own men.
- For the rest of the war the Allies were to fight under a single overall command.
1to ally oneself with / to sb — aliarse con/a algn
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.