In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(without others)soloat last we're alone — por fin solos
- I want to be alone with you — quiero estar a solas contigo
- I felt all alone — me sentí muy solo
- They can usually purchase media on more favourable terms than a single company acting alone.
- In contrast to the cluttered runner up pages, the winning designs are presented alone.
- No one will be asked to work alone but together great things can be achieved.
- On a very serious note, I just don't know how single parents cope with this alone.
- After a show, when it was just the two of us alone together, he would leap up in the air three times to tell me how much he liked the work.
- It is by the strength of our common endeavour we achieve more together than we achieve alone.
- Most of the time Brady joined them, but there were plenty of times for them to be together alone.
- It was going to be up to me to see that Patty and Folsom weren't ever left alone together.
- The pressure inside the container is the sum of the pressures that each gas would exert if it were present alone.
- It is for the participating individuals alone to decide what the terms of their marriage shall be.
- That sounds very much like a bribe, but Pearson insists that adults need time when they can be together alone.
- What kind of doctors are we training who have never had to undertake a clinic unaided or cope alone with an unexpected event during surgery?
- That winter the two writers were alone together for the first time, but it was not an idyllic experience.
- Today was the first time we'd ever been alone together when one of your stooges wasn't listening in.
- Neither approach alone can begin to present a complete picture of the writers involved.
- They'd been alone together, almost as if they were in their own private little world.
- Even as very young children they would sit quietly alone and talk together.
- Trudy called in desperation, but she had flown off to let Trudy face this test alone.
- After nearly two months we were finally alone together again but he made no effort to kiss me this time.
- Raising a family alone can provide a host of obstacles, so single parents are clubbing together to help each other out.
- Why will we now have single officers on duty alone at night in prisons?
- It was the first time James and I had been together alone for over six years.
- Don't you notice the tension between the two whenever they're left alone together?
- We hit the streets of L.A. to do nothing but shop and spend time alone together - that was the plan.
- Both work fantastically well alone but together they're unbeatable.
- Did he not know that it was unsafe to walk alone in the present circumstances?
- She knew her mother wouldn't approve of them spending an evening at home alone together.
- He had been manning a guard post alone.
- Only candidates who secure more than 50 per cent of the votes alone must be declared elected.
- It was the work of a single individual, working alone and in secret.
- Many Alto programs can be controlled with the mouse alone independent of a keyboard.
- He raised four children alone as a single father and is now an independent consultant.
- Once they are alone together, Harry is surprised to find himself drawn to Erica for all the right reasons.
- Do you and the missus talk about directing when you're alone together, I ask, the arched eyebrow obvious in my voice.
- But it was so large I could not eat it all, and dining alone there was no-one else to assist!
- Both women were sopranos, and we saw them sing alone and together a number of times.
- There were a lot of opportunities for them to be alone together discussing her graduation project.
- She has merit and has achieved thigh power alone and unaided.
2(unique)to be alone in sth/-ing
- am I alone in finding the novel a bore? — ¿soy la única que encuentra la novela aburrida?
- we're not alone in this opinion — no somos los únicos que opinamos así
2(exclusively)the choice is yours alone — la elección es solo tuya
- you and you alone are responsible — tú eres el único responsable
3(without addition)solotheir kitchen alone is bigger than my apartment — la cocina nomás es más grande que todo mi apartamento América Latina
- that one book alone sold two million copies — solo de ese libro se vendieron dos millones de ejemplares
- Variability is increased in a wider region of the chromosome than expected for a single locus alone.
- The second concerns exchange value alone; in particular, the question of how it is possible for a capitalist to make a profit.
- He sacked six of these in the a single season alone and appointed no fewer than 23 in his 16 years as club president.
- But to judge them on the basis of that single alone would be unjust, for the rest of the album is just as impressive.
- In the last two weeks alone there has been a plethora of new albums and singles.
- This single incident alone would be enough to give him nightmares for a couple weeks.
- How many different stories are happening right there alone at a single given moment?
- For this single reason alone it is a most welcome addition to Indian film literature.
- What emerges of interest in a single publication is rarely the photography alone.
- On the basis of parsimony alone the single ancestor theory seems highly likely.
- I believe this factor alone constitutes appropriate circumstances for allowing a premium.
- There are some cars whose names alone present a serious obstacle to the potential buyer.
- In the UK alone, indies together account for a quarter of record sales.
- This reconstruction of events is something that cannot be accomplished through participant observation alone.
- The limestone bath alone costs £10,000 and is cast from a single piece of stone shipped from Turkey.
- But that alone is not particularly edifying and so I do want to go into a little more detail.
- Our genes are not the product of our present environment alone, but also of all the environments our genetic ancestors experienced.
- Don't expect cleaning solutions alone to remove large particles of hardened mortar.
- Gone are the days of single sales alone getting bands to the much coveted number one position.
- These might seem sufficient reason alone for joining the single currency.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.