In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1voto alternativo masculino
- A debate is under way among ministers, kicking around the alternative vote (AV) system, which allows voters to name their second as well as first choice.
- Second preferences on the alternative vote ballot paper are expected to be decisive.
- There is a debate raging about whether to hold a referendum on the day of the next election to switch from the current first past the post voting system to the alternative vote.
- Instead of complaining about constituency boundaries, the Conservatives should back a referendum on the alternative vote.
- The party's approach to the alternative vote will be a test of whether Labour can win real power and whether it deserves to
- Unfortunately the voting system they favour the alternative vote (AV) has serious weaknesses.
- This afternoon MPs will vote on the third reading of the constitutional renewal and governance bill amended to offer a national referendum on the alternative vote (AV).
- The promised referendum on changing to the alternative vote (AV) electoral system must happen, and happen soon.
- I believe the alternative vote system will help rebuild the trust and authority given to our elected representatives.
- The proposals for electoral reform by the 1998 Jenkins commission combine the Australian system of the alternative vote with a small top-up to ensure greater proportionality.
- Under proportional representation, even with a tame alternative vote system, it would be worth citizens' while to go out and vote for a party closer to their views.
- Other proposals include a referendum on adopting the alternative vote system and a free vote on reducing the voting age to 16.
- There will be a referendum on introducing the alternative vote system for elections.
- The alternative vote takes on the considerable strengths of our system and I suggest, builds on it.
- "The alternative vote has many attractions, including the fact that you have to get 50 % plus one in that constituency, therefore you have a greater legitimacy," he said.
- Ministers will this week confirm plans to hold a referendum next year on adopting the alternative vote system for electing MPs.
- There is a case, he concedes, for the alternative vote, a one, two, three listing of candidates in order of preference.
sistema que permite a los electores votar según el orden de sus preferencias dentro de una lista de candidatos, otorgándose la victoria al que logra la mayoría absoluta o lo hace en recuentos sucesivos, previa eliminación de los candidatos minoritarios
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.