In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- To begin with he showed much of the elitism which often characterises anarchism - he despised his fellow prisoners because they were only interested in themselves and not in ‘the cause’.
- Ronald Reagan made communism look a lot less like the wave of the future and a lot more like another misbegotten nineteenth-century ideology, such as syndicalism or anarchism, that was destined for the ash heap of history.
- Gary, who has come to embrace anarchism, believes the terrorist act will spark a de-politicised working class to rise up against their oppression.
- As a young office worker, then a proofreader, he was attracted to anarchism before becoming a syndicalist.
- To be honest, I did flirt with anarchism for a while; I've seen both sides and Marxists are the ones who tend to be the nicest, the most civilized while still of course committed passionately to their views.
- Orwell was, in fact, a maverick on the Left and his ideas were a curious mixture of anarchism and Labour Party reformism.
- Libertarian, or individualistic, anarchism is grounded in the laissez-faire theory of the capitalist economy.
- In formulating a rather mild-mannered anarchism, which promises no windows will be broken, the filmmakers, probably unwittingly, have tailored their work to the present conformist climate.
- Eclectically drawing from elements of anarchism and Maoism, their group favoured ‘gut politics’ and were hostile to any far-reaching theoretical considerations.
- In Dostoyevsky's day, urban radicals influenced by Marx and emboldened by Bakunin went out into the countryside proclaiming the doctrines of socialism and syndicalist anarchism, to little effect.
- Albert's reference point is the theories he sees as having been the main contenders in the battle for ideas in the 1960s and 1970s: Marxism, feminism, anarchism and nationalism.
- As prelude to his main argument, he rejects both Marxism and anarchism as potential solutions to the world's problems.
- He fancied himself a poet and Bohemian, smoked and drank every night, held court on politics and literature, took home a lengthy succession of women, and dropped Day's anarchism, pacifism and religion, in that order.
- I used to be very enthused about the aspects of anarchism and Marx's work that looked forward to a society in which everyone participated in both work and the process of government.
- It is the story of an anarchist, Jon Wilde, who founds the Space and Freedom Movement at the time of humanity's expansion into space, promoting his vision of anarchism in artificial space habitats.
- To me, his main point is that the great clash of civilisations is over - socialism (in all its forms, whether sydicalism, anarchism, communism or national socialism or other) has been consigned to irrelevance.
- Politically speaking, the groups that organized the street protests were heavily influenced by a combination of anarchism, anti-consumerism and hostility to technological development.
- In the Romantic era one finds numerous anticipations of Marx and his sociopolitical critique, as well as early versions of socialism, communism, anarchism, and social democracy.
- I am really frustrated that I never got to argue with him about, for example, anarchism, which is something I always wanted to do.
- While El Socialista and other socialist periodicals were appealing to working-class Spaniards, anarchism, intent on capturing the same audience, was also taking root in Spain.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.