In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- And I disagree with adding salt - anchovies and olives are salty - I only added pepper.
- Preserved fish is the local speciality - especially tuna in oil and anchovies, which are salted in ceramic pots with weighted tops.
- Sardines and anchovies swim to the beat of a 50-year climate cycle in the Pacific Ocean.
- Barracuda eat squid and small fish such as sardines, anchovies, young mackerels and grunions.
- As she was preparing to cook it, she happened to glance at the ingredients and noticed that it contained anchovies and fish stock.
- The relationship between anchovies and sardines may not be so simple, he said.
- In a mortar, pound the salt, garlic and anchovies to a paste.
- The Brown Pelican's diet consists almost entirely of fish such as smelt and anchovies.
- There's a wide ledge on the north side of the Arch at 25m, a good place to stop and watch a huge shoal of anchovies stream past.
- At a larger size, they prey on fish such as smelt, anchovies, lamprey, shad and salmon.
- According to Harris, the greatest concern is a trend toward fishing the Argentine anchovy, a staple penguin food.
- Groups such as silversides, herrings and anchovies often congregate in feeding shoals numbering in the millions.
- The rivers also provide fish, and there are several fisheries that produce mackerel, anchovies, and prawns.
- Sardines haven't had the exposure of, say, anchovies or herrings.
- Its primary food consists of sardines, anchovies, small mackerel, crabs, shrimp and squid.
- Wild fish caught for farm feed include herring, mackerel, sand eels and anchovies.
- Like anchovies and herrings, they are small, primitive fish belonging to the group known as clupeoids.
- Their diet includes several fish species, such as anchovy, whiting and herring.
- Adult halibut prefer a diet of small fish such as anchovies, sardines, and white croaker.
- A rustling plateful of deep-fried whitebait with anchovies and a red onion dressing screamed out for a smack of chilli, but was still pleasing for all that.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.