In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Each robot also will be equipped with an anemometer to determine wind direction and velocity.
- The anemometer fitted to the roof of the clubhouse, which warns members of the conditions they face as they venture to the first tee, was not in operation during the refurbishment.
- His first question was ‘Who checks the exposure of the anemometers?’
- After all, modern anemometers can read off wind speeds to as many decimal places as there are numbers on an LCD display.
- The wind speed was recorded by a digital anemometer.
- The anemometer at Darwin Airport recorded a gust of 217 km/h before the instrument failed.
- The Sherpa has everything the Vector has (including the timekeeper), but also an anemometer that measures wind speed and wind chill in mph, knots, beaufort, km/h, and m/s.
- These sensors include an anemometer, which records the speed of the wind in knots every five minutes and a wind vane which records the average wind direction.
- Lake Kinneret field data from six thermistor chains and eight wind anemometers deployed during July 2001 are presented.
- The same computer also takes constant note of the current wind speed, from an anemometer mounted next to the wind vane.
- Data were collected with eight Lake Diagnostic Systems consisting of thermistor chains and wind anemometers.
- I make a visual assessment as I move, but carry an anemometer, with a built-in thermometer, to gauge the wind speed and its direction, along with the air temperature and wind-chill temperature.
- Although estimating the wind speed using the map on Page 74 can prove highly valuable, a handheld wind-measuring device, called an anemometer, is a better way to measure wind speeds at your specific site.
- Wind instruments, such as anemometers and aerovanes or wind vanes, should be exposed to an unobstructed wind flow 10 meters above the ground.
- At $100, you can add a rain gauge, or an anemometer to measure wind speed and calculate the wind chill.
- We've not included an anemometer and wind vane in the parts list, but you can make a wind vane and an anemometer using the ideas from The Franklin Institute.
- For the purposes of taking your own readings, any weather vane and anemometer must be housed at least 10’ high and away from the influence of any fences or buildings.
- He also explained the crane did not have an anemometer - used to measure wind speed - and a special safety plug was missing from equipment, something he said was a regular occurrence.
- Wind direction and speed at low altitude were recorded from an anemometer (29 m above sea level) on board the ship, while winds at higher altitudes were measured by radar tracking of helium-filled balloons.
- One day last winter, the tiny cups on an anemometer that measures wind speed on the turbine began gathering ice.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.