In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1calcetín corto masculinosoquete masculino Cono Sur
- Although being around for quite some time, the ankle socks, also known as bobby socks, have not received the acknowledgment accorded to other fads that keep the fashion-conscious aware of things.
- What's your take on low-cut ankle socks, and what do you think is the most fashionable length for socks when you're playing golf in shorts?
- I am dressed in the hated green skirt, black pullover, lumpy shoes, and ankle socks.
- I braided my hair in pig tails and wore Mary Janes on my feet with white ankle socks folded neatly at the top.
- She was wearing shredded short overalls, sneakers, ankle socks and a sleeveless spaghetti strap tight top, over a black top.
- Even her sock drawer was neat, all the way down to tights going in one place, knee socks in another, and ankle socks in yet another.
- Sarah then grabbed a pair of black sneakers and slipped them on over her ankle socks.
- She wore white ankle socks and shuffled her feet uneasily into the off white carpeting, pushing herself up with her hands.
- I loved it, especially when worn with high heeled gold sandals, but the effect of course was utterly ruined by those white ankle socks peeping out from under it.
- Then she pulled a pair of ankle socks on and slid her feet into her tennis shoes.
- The boy had on black slacks and a black silk shirt, he was wearing designer shoes, black of course; and a pair of black ankle socks that came above his shoe line.
- Lain nodded and walked down the stairs clad in only her low cut ankle socks.
- Mismatched ankle socks are just the beginning of Jessie's own sense of style.
- Samara looked just like any other girl in school except for her ankle socks (others had knee-length socks).
- The mention of frilly ankle socks also made Max ask me who this Henry is, because we all know how my son feels about frilly ankle socks.
- Pulling on white ankle socks and her favorite pair of shoes, she picked up her backpack and went downstairs.
- One black ankle sock and one blue one were expeditiously pulled onto my feet while I hopped on one foot.
- They'd stand at the gate handing out detentions to the kids who set foot in the school grounds with the wrong brand of white ankle socks.
- They were even dressed the same: white waterproof jackets, white school blouses, short black skirts, white ankle socks and black school shoes.
- She also had a pair of white ankle socks and tennis shoes on.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.