In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(city/army) aniquilarRangers annihilated United — los Rangers destrozaron / le dieron tremenda paliza a United coloquial
- Archaeologists have found proof of the first ever use on British soil of a terrifying new weapon at the Battle of Killiecrankie, at which 2,500 Jacobites annihilated a force of 4,000 redcoats.
- Talk about wanting to annihilate opponents never wins friends and making insulting gestures at beaten teams will soon remove any lingering goodwill that the team enjoy.
- A three-month bombing campaign nearly annihilated the city, destroying its people and its wealth.
- Then, in 1986, the same year that Holmes was beaten by Michael Spinks, Tyson annihilated Trevor Berbick for the WBC crown.
- He had come to alleviate their distress, to annihilate evil, to restore peace and justice; but I wondered if even he could ameliorate the morbid state of the planet in just eleven days.
- He writes, ‘These men are nothing buy warlords who are annihilating their own countrymen in return for a position in leadership and the ensuing dimes that will come as foreign aid.’
- The consequences for the NNP were clear and simple: it had been annihilated as an electoral force in South Africa and the Western Cape, Selfe said.
- Asus GameFace allows you to not only talk to your opponent, but see them cringe as you annihilate them.
- As a young man, he made his name not in student politics but in wrestling, and now he uses words and more words to annihilate and humiliate his opponents.
- Winning away at Anfield, defeating Arsenal, annihilating Rangers home and away, all smack of a team capable of greatness.
- With a quick smile to Ally, Trent got ready to annihilate his opponent.
- Well don't bother annihilating them at the ballot box, just ban them instead.
- All that person wanted to do was destroy, to annihilate everything around her.
- Yet on July 23, Samak annihilated his opponents to win the Bangkok governorship with a record-breaking one million votes, almost twice the total of the other 22 candidates combined.
- Because he was a king, Conrad continued to play a role in the Second Crusade, but the imperial army was annihilated and the Germans did not contribute significantly to what followed.
- Does the host team annihilate all opponents within three days and crush them by an innings or so?
- This proved the best, probably only strategy in the end, and the film is finally as much about the bravery and tenacity of one gay man in the face of annihilating social forces as anything else.
- Thus Pluto has come to signify enormous power that can release untold energy, destroy, or annihilate.
- These therapies help to annihilate the root cause of ailments and stimulate a person's natural healing power.
- Terrorist attacks that destroy thousands of lives and forest fires, which completely annihilate an area and leave many persons homeless and displaced, aren't uncommon nowadays.
- The Clan kicked off their last season in the NAIA with a bang, annihilating the Puget Sound Loggers 39-0 at Swanguard Stadium Saturday, Sept.8.
- Murikans get testy when we don't annihilate our opponents.
- Throughout their recollections you could hear in their voices the absolute belief that even if they were killed, even if their whole battalion was annihilated, that the Allies would still win the war.
- Once I got to the top, the master would take over and my enemy would be utterly annihilated.
- Dairying in the west will be virtually annihilated if the government adopts the recommendations of a strategic development plan which they have commissioned on the future of the industry in Ireland, a farm group has warned.
- Those who set themselves up to be nature's masters and possessors, and forget that they themselves are merely part of nature, destroy nature and, in the end, annihilate themselves.
- In the end, they have all fallen in front of Jones - Montell Griffin beat him once via disqualification but was annihilated in their second meeting.
- They annihilated Caragh in the semi final on Saturday before beating the hosts by 2-12 to 3-5 in Sunday's final.
- Diclofenac residues have virtually annihilated the Oriental white-backed vulture in Pakistan.
- The anti-Japanese organizations have been dissolved, and all other civil and Internet anti-Japanese movements are being destroyed and annihilated.
- Once the remaining three ships were clear of the blast area they were annihilated by the burst from the destroyer's main gun.
- There are other styles of play, such as Team Deathmatch, where the goal is simply to annihilate the opposing forces, and Capture the Flag, but they are far less popular, and the formats aren't as suitable.
- In the air, the US has concentrated its massive firepower on the Tora Bora area, using sophisticated bunker-busting bombs to seal or destroy caves and annihilate any opposition.
- At the time the program began, there were only about 500 of the grazing animals left, because they had been virtually annihilated by hunters.
- As myriad examples show, annihilating a people also requires destroying - or allowing to be destroyed - the symbols of that people's history, community, and identity.
- Any one of these could destroy a city - annihilating hundreds of thousands of people in the process.
- The reigning champion didn't just beat his opponents - he annihilated them.
- With spirits high despite the previous day's loss, Air Force showed determination and pulled together as they annihilated Navy in a strong win.
- The liberal and conservative parties stopped fighting in 1958 and agreed to share power while joining forces to annihilate all opposition to their two-party system.
- We annihilated our opponents, and nobody could argue about it.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.