In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(esp en relación con la guerra civil norteamericana) prebélico
- The antebellum decades were not all that terrific either.
- The slave narrative is the best single source we have for the lived experience of bondage in the antebellum period.
- During the last decades of the antebellum period, indeed, nearly half of Virginia's white migrants moved north.
- The antebellum Southeast was without electricity, recorded music, television, movies, or radio.
- His research explores the question of economic development within the slave economies of the antebellum American South.
- The residents who profited most from Virginia's antebellum society, however, fought the hardest to maintain it.
- Houses from the nineteenth century are similar to antebellum architecture of the American South, with verandas and classical columns.
- History buffs will want to visit the restored antebellum plantation house located to the north-east of Bradenton.
- In many respects it bears almost no relation to the type of state-sanctioned endemic slavery that existed in Ancient Rome and the antebellum American South.
- South Carolina is a state of palm trees, antebellum homes and genuine Southern charm.
- The antebellum South was famous for its militarism.
- We had heirloom roses growing in our backyard that locals said had been planted during the antebellum days.
- The town's older buildings have gradually disappeared, but some physical reminders of the antebellum era remain.
- In colonial and antebellum America, slaves could buy their freedom, but only with the acquiescence of their masters.
- Parallels to antebellum America have been made repeatedly.
- The authors assert that the tariff was a crucial, if not the main, economic source of divisiveness during the antebellum era.
- How democratic was the Democratic Party in the South during the antebellum and Civil War periods?
- It's interesting to me, Valerie, that you would choose to write about the antebellum slavery era.
- It may be that this story is unique to Louisiana in the late antebellum period, but this would hardly lessen the volume's significance.
- The antebellum South was a society founded on the traditional family of husband, wife, and children.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.