In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1ántrax masculinocarbunclo (maligno) masculino
- First of all, smallpox, anthrax, and the like are hard to spread effectively.
- An early suspicion that anthrax might have been the cause of the infection has been discounted.
- In New York five people are confirmed to have been exposed to the bacterium, of whom two have developed anthrax.
- Any doctor could learn as much about anthrax through reading a newspaper as they could through reading a medical text.
- The new test can identify the presence of anthrax in less than one hour instead of days.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.