In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Again, the capuchin monkey cannot be unequivocally assigned to either the typical anthropoid or nonprimate pattern.
- However, in the anthropoid primates, which include the monkeys and apes, eliminating sexual motivation does not eliminate the capacity for sexual arousal and mating.
- They are heavy-bodied, thick-necked anthropoid apes, native to the swampy coastal forests of Sumatra and Borneo.
- In 1917, he conducted experiments on anthropoid apes on the Island of Tenerife.
- But now we have much more complete material - upper and lower jaws - that gives us a better idea of what Biretia is and how it fits into the broader picture of early anthropoid evolution.
- This usually occurs in gibbons and occasionally in other anthropoid apes.
- This fairly sturdy oversized paperback is printed in blue, with uninspiring cartoons of a cross-eyed kid in a beanie and his anthropoid dog.
- Archaeologists and site-workers anxiously probed into the sand and uncover three magnificently carved unidentified wooden anthropoid sarcophagi dating back to the 26th Dynasty.
- ‘That resulted in the anthropoid primates - which we are one of - which had better vision all around, compared to the earlier primates that only had to deal with constricting snakes,’ Isbell said.
- His overview is especially effective, as it clearly presents several hypotheses of anthropoid origins.
- I personally believe that with nimble fingers and fine eyes, humans seem particularly adapted - like our anthropoid counterparts - to the task of picking insects from leafs and branches.
- But fundamental questions remain to be answered about anthropoid origins in Asia and Africa.
- The stage is dominated throughout by huge anthropoid figures, I should think over 30 feet tall.
- However, if present day anthropoids are any indication, early primates were quick to take advantage of these new arboreal plant foods.
- The ancient teeth and jawbones of the tiny, monkeylike creatures shed new light on the poorly understood evolution of early anthropoids, a suborder of primates that includes apes, monkeys, and humans.
- ‘I am convinced that Southeast Asia played a most critical role in the evolution of anthropoids and hominoids, much more important than what is commonly believed,’ he said.
- In fact, anthropoids are matched only by raptors for their sharp vision.
- Primates, particularly anthropoids, are noted for their considerable cerebral complexity.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.