In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In summer, the weather associated with anticyclones is usually fine and cloud-free.
- These anticyclones diverted rain-bearing frontal systems away from the country for much of the time and as a result it was a dry but cloudy month everywhere.
- In our hemisphere, areas of high barometric pressure, anticyclones, create winds which circulate anticlockwise.
- Such wind systems indicate the regular passage of the anticyclones well to the south of the sub-continent.
- All sorts of weather systems can have an impact, dependent on the location, such as mid-latitude cyclones, subtropical anticyclones, monsoon systems, and tropical cyclones.
- The South African Weather Service told The Star on Monday that the heat is due to an anticyclone or high pressure system in the upper air.
- The strong anticyclone drifts slowly across the sub-continent during the weekend.
- Institute scientist Jim Salinger said the fine, settled winter weather was caused by more anticyclones than usual across northern New Zealand.
- He created the term anticyclone and pointed out its importance in weather forecasting.
- The low pressure area departed during Thursday as a new anticyclone reached and passed the Cape.
- Weakening and reduction in the regular size of the Polar anticyclone and its east-wind outflow should cause the temperate low pressure belt to find a zone of activity closer to the polar zones than at present.
- Stratocumulus is usually a sign of old fronts and is also associated with static anticyclones.
- The anticyclones are spinning in different directions, such that they keep a delicate balance with one another.
- During this period favoured locations for centres of anticyclones are the Great Victoria Desert and central New South Wales.
- A similar weather system occurred at the start of the anticyclone last week and as well as acting as a cooling agent it was a joy to watch.
- The resident anticyclone continues in its fixed abode.
- Winter anticyclones usually build westwards from Scandinavia and Eastern Europe.
- The advancing anticyclone is centred between 35 and 40 degrees South.
- In polar and sub-tropical regions there are large semi permanent anticyclones (high-pressure areas).
- This anticyclone will dominate the weather scene for the following few days.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.