In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Observers said it was the most momentous political development since the end of apartheid in South Africa.
- South Africa returned to the Commonwealth in 1994 after the policy of apartheid had been abandoned.
- An interesting point that Rose was quoted on in the Guardian was that he applied the same boycott to South Africa under apartheid.
- Growing up in South Africa during apartheid, he has a clue about what it means to have minority groups in a society.
- People are taking full advantage of the democratic spaces won against apartheid.
- Also arrested were dozens of former fighters in the struggle to liberate South Africa from apartheid.
- This was as part of a protest against South Africa's policy of apartheid.
- The difference is that under apartheid that was the official policy of the Government.
- But apartheid, the system that dominated every aspect of South African life, is over.
- Similar methods helped bring apartheid to an end in South Africa.
- I was born in South Africa and under apartheid, if you were black, you were regarded as a terrorist.
- Would they copy the South African model and adopt a system of apartheid, based on skin colour?
- Black people's struggle against apartheid in South Africa attracted immense worldwide solidarity.
- Never shy of taking risks, the series tackled such contentious issues as feminism and South African apartheid.
- I lived for many years in South Africa, during the dark days of apartheid.
- Incredibly, a decade after the end of apartheid this system still exists.
- We urgently need to build a solidarity movement on the scale of those against South African apartheid and the Vietnam War in the past.
- It was inspired by the economic boycotts that helped end apartheid in South Africa.
- It is the same story in every subsequent popular revolution, up to and including the overthrow of apartheid in South Africa.
- I was part of the first Scottish educational mission to South Africa since apartheid was dismantled.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.