In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1afídido masculinoáfido masculino
- The gardener's friend, the busy little ladybird helps by eating aphids and greenfly.
- As a group, aphids attack a plant by sucking its fluids from tender new growth.
- Keep a look out for aphids on tender young growth or on plants that are stressed and unhappy.
- Using an oil spray will get rid of aphids, lacebugs and spider mites quickly.
- Sap-sucking insects such as aphids carry viruses between plants.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.