In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Yet despite my dismissive attitude towards apocalyptic theories and prophesies, last year's Y2K version did somewhat discomfort me.
- Furthermore, news channels would either interview astrologers or fortune tellers and ask them to give apocalyptic and catastrophic predictions that would frighten people.
- His work was seminal for understanding the role and importance of apocalyptic literature and its interpretations in the lives of early seventeenth-century Puritans.
- The rise of environmental politics since the late 1960s directly stimulated historical scholarship, and gave the new environmental history an occasionally apocalyptic and moralistic tone.
- The book's second half focuses on the ethics of prophetic and apocalyptic literature.
- It was written during the terrifying times of the Cuban missile crisis, but it depicts apocalyptic visions rather than specific details.
- His apocalyptic vision looks more like prophecy than fiction.
- Even for those who did not accept these apocalyptic scenarios, emancipation portended a chaotic and terrifying new world.
- Indeed, the current American spate of interest in apocalyptic prophecy stems precisely from attempts to draw meaning from complex and difficult imagery.
- It also has an apocalyptic vision of the future.
- Despairing, however, that he would only be remembered as a political satirist and not a genuine artist in his own right, he changed his subject matter to romantic landscapes or apocalyptic visions of the future.
- But as apocalyptic literature has come in for criticism, so has utopian-by anti-utopians, often satirists.
- Rather than see social events as holding spiritual significance in a prophetic way, they dismissed literal interpretations of apocalyptic prophecies.
- Wasn't this apocalyptic comment portentous with all the flooding and massive tidal waves around Thailand and the Indian Ocean?
- It was composed and published in a crucial period of European apocalyptic anxiety and millennial anticipation.
- His writing is apocalyptic in feel, describing a gritty futuristic world in which dream meets reality.
- I'm not sure the apocalyptic vision is helpful.
- Nor is he given to apocalyptic prophecies.
- Rejecting it would mean moving toward strike action, which union leaders are describing in apocalyptic tones.
- Climate change is the environmental fear that provokes the greatest degree of apocalyptic prophesy.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.