In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1apostólicothe apostolic succession — la sucesión apostólica
- The liturgy will end with the Pope's giving his apostolic blessing, known as Urbi et Orbi, or ‘to the city and the world’.
- The prestige of the city itself was no longer sufficient; but in the doctrine of apostolic succession the popes had an unassailable position.
- After serving as apostolic delegate to Greece and Turkey from 1935 and as papal nuncio in liberated France from 1944, in 1953 he became a cardinal and Patriarch of Venice.
- A private viewing was held at the apostolic palace in the Vatican.
- At the end of 1944, he became apostolic nuncio to France.
- Together, the miniatures address the presence of a modern Elymas, Luther, and reassert Paul's apostolic authority; legitimately mandated to the papacy.
- Later this year, the Vatican is expected to begin an apostolic visitation of U.S. seminaries.
- The Vatican appoints an apostolic visitor when it receives allegations of ‘grave irregularities’ at an institution of a diocese.
- As apostolic nuncio, he automatically became dean of the diplomatic corps.
- Nevertheless, the Vatican has already said that a section of its archive dating from 1931 to 1934 was destroyed or lost during the bombing of Berlin in 1945 and in a fire at the apostolic nuncio's palace.
- It was bombarded with complaints from the nuncio, the apostolic administrator for the diocese and other senior clerics.
- The same day in Bulgaria, representatives of the Roman Catholic Church revealed more details about the upcoming apostolic visit.
- As the successors of Peter in Rome, the popes laid claim to apostolic supremacy, just as Peter had been given primacy over the apostles in the mother community in Jerusalem after the Resurrection of Christ.
- In Divini Amoris Scientia, his apostolic letter announcing the doctorate, the Pope goes even further.
- Bulgarians have expressed a positive attitude towards the Papal apostolic visit.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.