In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1adulador masculinoaduladora femeninopelota masculino España coloquiallambiscón masculino México coloquiallambiscona femenino México coloquialchupamedias masculino Cono Sur Venezuela coloquiallambón masculino Colombia coloquiallambona femenino Colombia coloquial
- If all those apple polishers got into a fight, who do you think would win?
- We've always had to endure goody two-shoes apple-polishers - kids with their hands always up, who turn in talkers when the teacher leaves the classroom and volunteer for extra work after school.
- The reporters, shooting spitballs from the back of the class, regarded her as a preening apple-polisher.
- He's an apple polisher who keeps dropping the apple in the mud in his frenetic attempts to please.
- It wasn't just the incessant whiners, or the obvious apple-polishers, or having to cover up for the occasional bad staffer that drove her nuts, she says.
- I had something close to a 4.0 in my major, and I was certainly no apple-polisher; my priorities lay more in figuring out exactly how little one had to do to earn an A.
- The newspaper and assorted other liberal apple-polishers may have accuracy on their side on this one, but they don't have balance.
- When the other fellow pleases the boss, he's an apple polisher.
- If a boss closes one eye to the weaknesses of apple-polishers, soon or later the company will close shopand he might as well close both eyes!
- Now, I know what you're thinking - ‘y'know, he's pretty moody sometimes too, so why should I care about these apple-polishers?’
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.