In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(technique) labor que consiste en hacer aplicaciones o apliques en una tela(decoration) aplicación femenino(decoration) aplique masculino(decoration) apliqué masculinobefore noun decorated with appliqué work — decorado con aplicaciones / apliques / apliqués
- For the Indian collection, Ayesha has used appliqué, embroidery and bold prints.
- The craft day includes classes in appliqué without stitching; 3D decoupage; parchment paper craft; basketry and painting on slate.
- The islands are known for a textile art called tivaevae, practiced by women, which combines appliqué and embroidery.
- The bags are hand-stitched, some with hand-made appliqué or contemporary embroidery and the finish is extremely professional.
- Barbara fingered the gold and silver appliqué.
- Throughout 2004 appliqué and embroidery on clothes and fabrics will be much stronger and more extravagant, yet remain dignified.
- The sharp points are fine enough for lace, cutwork, appliqué, tailoring and hand needlework.
- The trick is to first create the hooped embroidery appliqué on a water-soluble stabilizer.
- She had got a beautiful dress - black with red thread appliqué and she'd also put a red rose in her hair and she'd had her hair done - she looked, actually, pretty glamorous.
- Cashmere sweaters are his main fare combined with a flare for innovative knits made from vintage sweaters which are recut and recreated with British motifs and appliqué.
- The trend this season is for quirky bags featuring images and appliqué, with everything from dogs to garden gnomes plastered all over the front.
- At his stall, you can pick up articles embroidered with appliqué, beadwork and silk thread.
- Now top your blanket off with a color coordinated store bought kid's appliqué or cute label.
- They developed a distinctive symmetrical template for appliqué.
- From Sumatra comes an Acchenes ceremonial hanging in cotton, wool and silk effortlessly integrating into its local weave, zari, sequin, bead and mirror work, appliqué and embroidery.
- A generation ago, a car with vinyl on its roof and wood appliqué on the dash represented the apogee of middle-class aspiration.
- The baguette is still very popular, with variations in beads, denim and felt appliqué - the possibilities are endless.
verbo transitivoappliqués, appliquéd, appliquéing
1decorar con aplicacionesdecorar con apliques
- From the right side, grasp the background fabric in the star center, and pinch it up and away from the appliquéd fabric underneath.
- She noted the highest bid at $1,025 went to a large quilt with appliquéd roses done in a wreath in the centre.
- They are made out of felted wool scraps that are appliquéd with a blanket stitch to a wool background.
- She wears stretch jeans and a white sweatshirt with glittery appliquéd gingham teddy bears.
- Some fine examples of this included her cherry blossom jersey gown with appliquéd ribbon straps and a burnt sienna crocodile top with a tulip print evening skirt.
- There are thong-styles, stiletto heels, woven bands of every width cross and wrap and appliquéd precious stones.
- As they were repaired, many were appliquéd with coffins, labelled with the names of departed family members.
- They are made of brightly colored appliquéd wool felt, with stylized nature motifs that have been passed down for generations.
- And when the dandy highway-women turned round, there were rock-and-roll slogans appliquéd on the back.
- It was machine appliquéd, embroidered and quilted.
- He even had his initials appliquéd on to the silk he wore on his helmet.
- Other quilts are made up of a variety of pieced and/or appliquéd blocks, and these are called ‘sampler’ Album quilts.
- Her eyelashes fluttered open, and for several moments watched the ripples of the water play on the walls appliquéd with murals.
- Throw in a few appliquéd elements, and your finished project will shine with textural polish.
- The creative, well-crafted articles chosen may include not only bestsellers, such as patchwork vests and embellished sweatshirts, but also local artists' quilts and pillows appliquéd with the town's logo.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.