In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(gratitude)agradecimiento masculinoreconocimiento masculinoplease accept this gift in appreciation of your help — le rogamos que acepte este obsequio como muestra de nuestro agradecimiento por su ayuda
- to show (one's) appreciation for sth — mostrar (su / mi etc.) agradecimiento por algo
- Well, a present is a token of your love and appreciation for the person to whom you are giving it!
- We ask you to show your appreciation by giving generously.
- She said: ‘They work so hard all year round, we are just pleased to be able to show our appreciation.’
- To all those who spent generously and encouraged others to do likewise, we want to express our appreciation and gratitude.
- ‘I am doing the walk to show my appreciation for the continual work done by local fundraisers,’ said Sarah.
- It gave us the chance to show our appreciation to all the staff who contribute so much in time and effort in providing our local National Health Services.
- It was a pleasure to present the awards last Friday and to see so many adults attend to show their appreciation and support for these champions of literature.
- But there must be some way I can show my appreciation.
- The public are welcome to come along and show their appreciation.
- And I think it's part of all our responsibilities to give something back and to show our appreciation.
- The money in question is that given by grateful patients to show their appreciation when they leave hospital.
- As a result of the treatment he has received he has been determined to show his appreciation for the staff at Swindon's Great Western Hospital.
- They just did you a huge favor, and you should show your appreciation.
- So rest assured that while we're eager to show our appreciation we would never publicize anyone's name without their explicit permission.
- We all crave appreciation and recognition and will do almost anything to get it.
- I encourage people of all ages to take the time on Sunday to attend a local memorial service to express your appreciation and gratitude to those who have and continue to serve our country.
- Parents, friends and public representatives all came together to show their appreciation for the wonderful efforts of all concerned.
- The Irish public will show their appreciation today.
- Show your appreciation with a handshake or even a letter.
- The sleevenotes on the album state that it is dedicated ‘with love and appreciation to our friends and families’.
1.2(discriminating enjoyment)he showed a genuine appreciation of music — demostró saber apreciar la música
- art appreciation classes — clases de iniciación al arte / de apreciación artística
- I do appreciate cultural artifacts, however, my appreciation includes a recognition of irony, and I mean irony in its strictest sense, not as a malapropism for sarcasm or smug insincerity.
- It reduces wine appreciation and enjoyment to a purely technical interpretation.
- Their often rocky friendship is rooted in appreciation for forgotten pop icons that they realize the rest of the world just won't ‘get.’
- This fast paced show is set to delight patrons in a town well known for its appreciation of quality productions.
- The physical pleasures are available for money and many develop their appreciation to a fine art.
- For me, the turgid pace and uneven writing muted any appreciation I might have of what it offers.
- Bob will be remembered by friends for his appreciation of fine single-malt scotch, his humble attitude toward himself and his dry sense of humor.
- Neither one had much appreciation for fine art, preferring museums of archeology, natural history and science.
- France, more so Paris, is known for appreciation and patronisation of finer things of life.
- My wife's head was pointed in the direction of the closest window to my left and I only smiled calmly with appreciation as the covers of her sheets climbed up her shoulders in a warmth embrace.
- I had many regular customers from much further afield, as well as the local catchment area, who expressed appreciation of the high quality, diversity and personal service of the independent shops.
- ‘Come back, señorita,’ she chuckled, her smile one of appreciation rather than malevolence.
- Leisure and relaxation are not laziness but rather an appreciation of taste and quality in life.
- Plans call for a series of events in recognition and appreciation of the company's community, employees, retail partners and consumers around the world.
- Purists, however, can choose from 20 different kinds of fine sipping tequilas, and owner Ramon is ready to guide you through the finer points of appreciation.
- A sensitive, attentive audience greeted her performance with smiles of appreciation.
- The deeper answer is that true enjoyment and appreciation of the wonders of this world is possible only when we have a profound awareness of the spiritual source of these wonders.
- Yet wine tends to bespeak a lifestyle of luxury and relaxation, of the enjoyment and appreciation of the creation of the vintner.
- My reply at the time was that I was no longer entirely sure where irony ended, and where sincere enjoyment and appreciation of the event began.
- Adults smiled in appreciation as a five-year-old berated her nine-year-old brother for cycling without his safety helmet.
- In 1984, a post-graduate student at Nirmala College, Muvattupuzha wrote a critical appreciation of this legendary work.
- In 1932, she published an essay about Charlotte Brontë that remains one of the most eloquent appreciations ever written by one author about another.
- This publication itself has published more than twenty reviews and appreciations of her works dating back to 1952.
- Occasional writings include several pieces he did for this magazine - mainly appreciations on the occasion of the deaths of fellow artists.
- It combines numerous illustrations with a biography, an artistic appreciation and a complete catalogue of his works.
- Another appreciation was written by him, for the American Symphony Orchestra's 1997 to 1998 season.
- ‘Think of these articles as old fashioned appreciations,’ he writes, ‘a fan's notes, good talk.’
- What he loves most to dwell upon in his appreciations of other authors, and what readers love most to dwell with in his own writings, are those passages where the soul finds a repose in some kind of eternal present.
- The third big block of articles is more serious: historical pieces and appreciations of various well-known and unsung comic book artists.
- We do get a lot about his relationship with his parents, and there are pieces - generally written as book reviews, eulogies or appreciations - that touch on some professional colleagues.
- She corresponded passionately with Whitman (who occasionally replied), wrote appreciations of his work, and visited him in America in 1876-9.
- Artists should be nominated for an overall appreciation of their work to date, of which we should be shown the finest examples.
- The sessions will be enlivened by slide shows of over 200 masterpieces ‘with commentaries and appreciations of each work’.
- Nearly all of the reviews are longer than the current appreciations.
- Coupled with these reactions is an appreciation of the artist's level of skill in both conceptualising such an object, but also his dedication in creating it.
- As such, their essays can be regarded more as insightful appreciations than scholarly criticism.
1.4(awareness)he has no appreciation of how much time the work will take — no se da cuenta / no tiene noción de cuánto tiempo llevará el trabajo
- they had little appreciation of the danger they were in — no se daban cuenta del peligro en el que estaban
- Putting materials to best use involves an appreciation of their innate sensory qualities as well as their technical potential.
- It was by no means a full appreciation of the situation, nor did I offer long-term solutions.
- One has to go to the valley to have correct appreciation of the situation, he added.
- She has outstanding retail flair and excellent all-round skills across design, buying and merchandising as well as a strong appreciation of technology, product quality and sourcing.
- Your recognition and appreciation of your individual identity starts now.
- If people had an appreciation of all the facts of that economic relationship, they would see issues like migration and border security at a completely different light.
- The preferences have resulted in a general lack of understanding and appreciation for the concept of comprehensiveness.
- But perhaps more significantly, never has a single event so affected people's appreciation of their freedom to fly from place to place unfettered.
- For, more than anything else, it is international appreciation of their situation that is most needed now.
- As with all thought provoking and multi-layered films, multiple viewing may be required for full appreciation.
- Every chapter offers similar moments of illumination, moments that send the reader back to the text under discussion with a fresh appreciation for the whole.
- The same coaches, players and fans who rail against officials often lack an understanding and appreciation of not only the basics but also, as it were, the art of reffing.
- Students gain an appreciation for issues that impact on the patients' quality of life and the role of drug therapy in their disease management.
- They have no appreciation of quality or history.
- A great deal of concentration is necessary for full appreciation but it is in this case merited.
- Full appreciation of its many other medical uses requires understanding of both historical usage as well as modern scientific studies.
- Gain full appreciation and understanding of the current approaches to valvular surgery - both aortic and mitral valve replacement.
- It is my hope that the objects discussed and illustrated in this article will further an appreciation of and scholarly consideration of the products of neoclassical Rome.
- What both those views demonstrate to me is an actual lack of understanding or appreciation about what this bill sets out to do.
- These all depend on an outside body of knowledge for full (note that ‘full’) appreciation.
- This indicates capital appreciation of 40 per cent per annum and yields in the region of 8 per cent.
- I am contemplating divorce and want to know if, under Texas law, my wife is entitled to any part of the home's appreciation in value.
- If she anticipated continued stock appreciation, then she would increase her AMT gain by delaying exercise.
- However, businesses will have to be vigilant to ensure that the effects of appreciation in the value of the euro do not undermine their trading position.
- It is possible that the land's appreciation resulted from an increase in its productivity.
- Most are seeking solid returns on their investments through the traditional means of capital gains through price appreciation and dividend payments.
- The personal representatives are not caught for appreciation in the value of the property during the period from the date of death to the date the property passes to the beneficiary.
- If you don't already have a lot of equity, borrowing against your home in hopes that market appreciation will increase your equity is a dangerous gamble.
- The capital appreciation and ongoing rental values in such areas are obviously significantly lower than would otherwise be the case.
- The stock's appreciation - its incentive value - depends on the company's ability to continue growing at a rapid pace.
- Rent plus the annual appreciation of land value equals annual interest cost.
- Paying attention to the home front can produce precious property value appreciation.
- And if, having done so, he has more money in his pocket, more appreciation on his share options, and more time to smell the roses, good luck to him too.
- The production cycle is long and the risks are high, but maybe not as long or as high as sitting and waiting for renewed appreciation in the value of your technology portfolio.
- The land-value increment tax was also introduced for recapturing unearned land price appreciation regardless of transaction.
- The theory is that over time, you end up paying less for a stock while reaping the benefits of its appreciation in value.
- The payment is for one time only, and does not reflect the potential appreciation in the unearned increment over time.
- As already observed, real exchange-rate appreciation has been a central characteristic of the postliberalization period in most countries.
- His marketing and management skills are focused on land value appreciation.
- Variable annuities allow you to participate in potential further appreciation of your assets while still drawing an income from your annuity.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.