In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(agree)do you approve? — ¿le parece bien?
- to approve of sth/sb
- I don't approve of his methods — no estoy de acuerdo con sus métodos
- mother seems to approve of him — a mamá parece gustarle
- they didn't approve of us getting married — no les pareció bien que nos casáramos
- they don't approve of my smoking — les parece mal / no les gusta que fume
2(agree formally)dar su aprobacióndar su visto buenoif the boss approves, we can start immediately — si el jefe da su aprobación / su visto bueno, podemos empezar inmediatamente
- What we have here as a problem is a lack of prudence in approving a loan proposal.
- All three have said they proposed to approve the plans, subject to the Secretary of State's views.
- When, in the course of administering town planning, a public planning authority approves an application by or on behalf of a landholder to use land for a more intensive use, the value of the land is increased.
- If the Parliament approves proposals, it is possible for the Council to pass legislation by a majority vote instead of requiring unanimous approval from the members of the Council.
- Other citizens in attendance support the plan, and the committee approves the proposal.
- If our budget proposals are not approved by the House, we can use the previous budget.
- These potentially conflicting imperatives can be reconciled if the senate approves course descriptions whenever relevant professional standards have been satisfied.
- Members voted to approve the plans claiming the proposals were in accordance with policy and that there was both local and historic interest.
- The regulations must be laid before Parliament and are to lapse at the end of 7 days unless in that time each House of Parliament passes a resolution approving them.
- If councillors approve the latest proposals to the district plan it could be adopted by the end of May.
- If they approve the proposals, the plans will go to the Scottish Executive for consideration.
- Despite this presidential warning shot, the Senate narrowly approved both amendments.
- The parliament promulgates laws, approves the national budget, monitors the legality of governmental activities, and, in concert with the president, exerts legislative power.
- School trustees may have scored a goal with young athletes Monday night, approving a specialized sports course to be launched from Palmer secondary this fall.
- ‘Even if the Committee, Council and the State Government approves our proposal, we will have to clear all legal hurdles before we implement it,’ the official added.
- A huge expansion of a busy supermarket has been approved by planning officials.
- The authority has a month to decide either to approve the merger or to carry out a more detailed investigation.
- The European Parliament approves the EU's budget, and co-decides most EU legislation with the Council of Ministers, which comprises the 15 member states.
- Councillors agreed to approve the proposals, so care home residents would not be disturbed by construction work.
- The Prime Minister approved the request on 9 February 1962.
1(sanction, agree)(action/plan/decision) aprobarthe plan has finally been approved by the board — el plan ha sido finalmente aprobado por la junta
2(officially recognize)(institution) acreditaran approved campsite/method — un camping/método autorizado
3formal(agree with)estar de acuerdo conI can't say I approve his methods — no puedo decir que estoy de acuerdo con sus métodos
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.