In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1reformatorio masculinocorreccional masculino
- He goes back to the approved school that he thought he'd left behind forever, and he revisits the Malvern Hills where his love of the countryside was first inspired as a child.
- From approved school he graduated through detention centre to borstal, finally winding up in prison.
- He was involved in crime from an early age, being sent to approved schools and borstal before ending up prison.
- They had passed through probation, borstal, approved schools and prison.
- He eventually ended up going to an approved school.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.