In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Yes, this requires work - but that is what makes it a justice system rather than one of arbitrary punishment.
- It has been said more than once that 10 seems a rather arbitrary number, and it has not been clear how the authors of the law arrived at it.
- That was the system - arbitrary, incomprehensible, illogical - and fairness had nothing to do with it.
- But Plato tells us that the ethical laws cannot be the arbitrary whims of personalized gods.
- This system was so arbitrary and irrational that it resulted in large numbers of poor persons being excluded.
- The historical reason for this time limit was based on arbitrary precedent.
- Police officers cannot take arbitrary measures based on suspicion.
- The question seemed rather arbitrary with no rhyme or reason whatsoever.
- This numbering system is an arbitrary designation based on small amino acid sequence differences.
- I prefer to have my laws built on reason rather than arbitrary morality.
- Why couldn't people see that tradition, while rather arbitrary, was the only fair way to do things?
- Any system of classification is arbitrary and thus frail, subject to the contradictions of experience.
- So, here I would only talk about a few rather arbitrary points that have occupied my mind in the recent days and leave the rest to other people to explore.
- His either/or choice was arbitrary and unnecessary, and he hurt his organization as a result.
- Capricious and arbitrary as the system might be, it serves several contradictory needs at once.
- The use of the severity and rarity criteria has meant that arbitrary and unjust decisions have been applied to many claims.
- They become a matter of subjective and arbitrary whim if they are cut off from collective deliberations.
- Citizens, too, began to complain that the economic system was bafflingly arbitrary.
- Make sure the decision about who goes is not arbitrary or based on favoritism.
- The numbering of years is a cultural artifact based on some rather arbitrary decisions made along the way.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.