In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- But this time some 69 cardinals and 1,228 bishops and archbishops had supported the campaign for beatification.
- The archbishops and bishops of the Church were likewise to contribute soldiers, or an equivalent amount in money.
- The Orthodox Church is headed by a patriarch, presiding over the Holy Synod, with a hierarchy of regional archbishops, bishops, and priests.
- To me, he resembled what I knew of my kindly uncle, a late archbishop of Chicago.
- With deference to tradition, the cardinals went first, archbishops and bishops followed and the priests came last.
- At the top of the clerical pyramid were 136 bishops and archbishops, whose income in the most important ecclesiastical sees could exceed 100,000 livres.
- The archbishop is also chair of the Central Board, which is elected by the Church Assembly.
- Into the silence, the archbishop now read the numbers that had been handed to him.
- Where will the opportunities be for community leaders, like the churches, the bishops and the archbishops in the capital cities and in the regional centres, to make their submissions?
- Seats went to archbishops and bishops of the province's twenty-three dioceses, owners of twenty-three baronies, and sixty-eight deputies of the Third Estate.
- Cardinals, archbishops, bishops, clergy and civilian dignitaries, including some from abroad, will participate in the function.
- The most sophisticated organization was the church and sensible rulers devoted care to choice of archbishops and bishops.
- Specifically, the Board urges a revival of the oversight role of metropolitans, i.e., archbishops overseeing bishops in their province.
- Moreover, the greater power the Carolingians gave to the archbishops over their bishops had led the latter to seek to safeguard their threatened independence by placing themselves under the direct protection of Rome.
- Nigeria is the largest Anglican ‘province’ in the world with 17 million members, 81 bishops, and 10 archbishops.
- Over both parish and monastery were set the diocesan bishops, who were themselves subject to archbishops, archbishops to primates, and primates to the pope who stood at the apex.
- The new government made it clear that these rites should involve ceremonies held in the churches throughout the country - from cathedrals to parish churches - and involve clergy from archbishops to parish priests.
- The spiritual peerage consists of the archbishops and diocesan bishops of the Church of England.
- As leader of the Anglican Communion, the archbishop faced growing demands on his time from Anglican churches abroad.
- In the Catholic tradition male priests, especially bishops and archbishops, still demand an enormous amount of respect and authority.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.