In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1liebre ártica femenino
- The most important adaptations of the Arctic hare are its keen eyesight, acute hearing, and speed.
- Instead of a plump, bunny - like body, Arctic hares have muscles that bulge beneath their skin.
- ‘Arctic hares appear unusually unwary or ‘tame’, ‘notes A W F Banfield in his classic work, The Mammals of Canada.’
- The range of the Arctic hare in Canada extends from Newfoundland to the High Arctic.
- The Arctic hare inhabits the tundra regions of Canada from Newfoundland west to the Mackenzie River Delta and north to the tip of Ellesmere Island.
- But before winter begins, Arctic hares change their fur; they turn snow-white and are hardly visible in the snow-covered scenery.
- The biggest enemies of the Arctic hare are the fox, the polar bear, the wolverine, and the ermine.
- Some hares include the common hare, the jack rabbit, the Arctic hare, the snowshoe hare, the European hare, and the blue hare.
- Backs to the wind, the herd of Arctic hares grazed on purple saxifrage.
- The breeding season of Arctic hare is indicated by the growth and regression of the male gonads; the gonads enlarge in April and regress in mid-September.
- Evidence suggests that in insular Newfoundland Arctic hares may produce two, perhaps three litters in some years.
- Early historical reports suggest that mating in Arctic hares is something out of the ordinary.
- So, Arctic hares, for example, have short ears close to their bodies.
- Join a photo safari and ‘shoot’ musk oxen, reindeer and Arctic hares and foxes.
- I saw a grizzly bear swimming, caribou on my hike with Dad, Arctic fox and Arctic hares.
- The range of Arctic hares extend south of the peninsula, so there is some overlap between the two species of hares.
- The Arctic hare can be found in Northern Canada, usually above the tree line and some islands off Greenland.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.