In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The Aristotelian characterization of philosophy cannot in any case be transferred back to the thinking of Heraclitus and Parmenides.
- Certainly, professors of philosophy were careful to reconcile Aristotelian ethics and metaphysics with Augustinian orthodoxy.
- Alexander's exegetical activity extended to include short discussions on specific points of interpretation within Aristotelian philosophy.
- To these Aristotelian concepts Aquinas added Christian convictions that God is loving, providential, and ruler of the universe.
- In 1581 he entered the University of Pisa to study medicine and the Aristotelian philosophy, but soon abandoned medicine for mathematics and physical science.
- In many respects Charron was a pure sceptic, whose criticisms of Aristotelian philosophy were among the most cogent produced by the Renaissance sceptics.
- All changes in the visible objects of the world of appearance are brought about by relocations of these atoms: in Aristotelian terms, the atomists reduce all change to change of place.
- This introduces the Aristotelian alternative to Bentham.
- In keeping with his views on knowledge and language, Crathorn advocated radical changes to traditional Aristotelian ontology.
- The author pleads for applying to theology the methods of the natural sciences, as in former times Platonic and Aristotelian philosophy were used by the Christian theologians.
- Among ancient philosophies it is the Aristotelian tradition which has the broadest and most generous conception of what the study of nature is.
- What he failed to realize was the extent to which the Catholic Church and Aristotelian philosophers would react adversely to the information about the heavens that his telescope revealed.
- Theophrastus sustained the Aristotelian character of the Lyceum.
- Shaping impulses, recalls Platonic and Aristotelian reason's governing and guiding appetites and emotions.
- Whether such facts were or were not recognized by Aristotelian philosophers was a matter of no interest to him.
- According to Aristotelian metaphysics, natures are complexes of powers.
- It is this emphasis on the control of natural forces that most clearly sets apart Bacon's philosophy from the Aristotelian philosophy he hoped to overthrow.
- The desire for knowledge, which Aristotle thought to be part of every man's nature and which was the dominant aspect of his own personality, informs and unifies the tripartite structure of Aristotelian philosophy.
- Moreover, even in the Aristotelian ontology, not everything that was attributed to a subject had to be an accident.
- After the Scholastic period the term ‘intentionality’ fell into a certain disrepute, as did many terms arising from Aristotelian philosophy.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.