In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The north responded to the news by threatening to abandon the 1953 armistice that ended the Korean War.
- Both sides agreed to an armistice to bury the dead and collect the wounded.
- What the Palestinians are demanding now as their rightful inheritance was there for the taking after the armistice agreement in 1948.
- Pétain made the most of this emotion to restore order quickly and to secure peace through the armistice.
- He claims that in most respects the terms of the armistice provided the foundations of those of the peace treaty.
- North and South Korea remain in a state of armistice with no peace agreement signed at the end of the war.
- Such a development would end the 1953 armistice agreement and accelerate the withdrawal of U.S. troops from the peninsula.
- News of the armistice had reached the troops but the actual order to cease fire was still on the way to the front.
- Unfortunately, the war, which resulted in an armistice and not a peace treaty, was not the end of the problem.
- He was influential in promoting the armistice agreement for Angola and independence for East Timor from Indonesia.
- Lenin immediately asked the German High Command for an armistice, and in December both sides met to discuss peace terms at Brest-Litovsk.
- In March 1940, he led the delegation that negotiated with Molotov for an armistice and peace settlement.
- November 1918 was an armistice, but the war didn't end officially until the peace treaty in June 1919.
- An armistice was signed at Compiègne in November 1918; fighting at once stopped.
- Hard-liners on both sides have been stepping up calls to abandon the armistice.
- Exactly 85 years ago the armistice was signed ending at the end of the Great War, the bloodiest conflict in history.
- In September 1943, when the Italians signed an armistice, he escaped and reached safety in Switzerland.
- French armies stormed to victory in Spain and Savoy, and by the end of 1794, tired of continual war, the Austrians signed an armistice.
- The battle for civilisation is not going to end with an armistice or some form of negotiated settlement.
- The fighting lasted until July 27 1953 when an armistice was signed.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.