In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1in UK exc Scotland
- A keen cross-country runner, the Fulford School pupil, who has just completed her AS levels, also plays tennis, squash and hockey.
- But, for the time being, Clare's biggest concern is passing his AS level exams.
- Teenagers flocked to the borough's secondary schools and colleges to discover if they had achieved the A and AS level grades they need for university or college courses.
- The solution was to reduce the number of exams by cutting the AS level.
- Learning requires discipline - My son is keen to get good AS levels so he can go to a good university to study maths.
- After a year they would sit their AS levels and then decide subjects to continue and sit an A2 exam in the following year.
- She is now deeply involved in study for AS levels and is contemplating a career as a meteorologist.
- I just couldn't help nagging to myself that this wasn't the end; there would be more exams in the future that were much more important than AS levels and there was the dreaded work experience too.
- Nationally the introduction of AS levels - an intermediate exam between GCSEs and A - levels - has been highlighted as one reason for better performance.
- ‘Last year I was doing my AS levels and was quite stressed about getting the grades to go on to finish my A-levels and get to university,’ she said.
- I am willing to concede that year in year out girls wipe the floor with boys in all public examinations - GCSE, AS levels, A-levels and so on.
- The teenager passed the AS level exam in the subject with an A grade but received a U grade for his coursework.
- Rebecca is studying AS levels but she really hates exams.
- Those that get straight As will be able to start AS levels to ease their way into the sixth form.
- Luke was seventeen, doing his AS levels, and basically being a brat.
- I'm hoping to go to college to do an art and IT course because I did both for my AS levels.
- I am 17 years old and taking my AS level exams in the summer; within a year I shall be applying for a university.
- Next year I'll be doing five AS levels, but these results might help to open doors for the future.
- A levels, AS levels and GCSE's are all well underway and good luck to all those sitting these important exams this summer.
- Next year he will go on to take several A and AS levels and hopes to go on to university in two years' time.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.