In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1the Ascension — la Ascensión
- The Ascension inaugurates God's eternal reign through Jesus Christ.
- This text uniquely ties together the Ascension and our need to be witnesses of this glorious event and of all the life and teachings of Christ.
- After the Resurrection and the Ascension of Jesus, the disciples were filled with the power of the Holy Spirit.
- After the Ascension the disciples, according to their Lord's instruction, prayed together in the upstairs room where they were staying.
- But when did Passion become a specialised term of church vocabulary, like the Ascension, to describe a very specific period in the life of Christ?
- My latest posting on ‘A scripture blog’ looks at the Ascension.
- Jesus' words address the situation of every generation of the church since the Ascension.
- When I was a little girl, the Paschal candle was extinguished in Ascension as a sign of the mystery of Christ's departure.
- The window on the east wing depicts the crucifixion while the Lady Chapel features a spectacular scene of the Ascension.
- The Ascension of Christ at the end of his time on earth is his liberation from restrictions of time and space.
- The reign of Christ begins with the Ascension, even as the witness of the church will soon be inaugurated by the sending of God's empowering Holy Spirit.
- This particular hymn 28 celebrates the paradox of the incarnation, alluding to the feasts of Easter and the Ascension.
- In the presence of Christ's absence, which is the entire sum of human time and history after the Ascension, the human being no longer knows what goodness really is.
- What does a belief in the Incarnation and the Resurrection and the Ascension and the future judgment mean for Christian practice and politics?
- The Feast of the Ascension marks the fortieth day after Easter, as Jesus is taken up to heaven in the cloud.
- But the Ascension is not to be conflated with the Resurrection, and to celebrate the former is not in any way to diminish the latter.
- The 22 sections present the Resurrection and Ascension of Jesus in a vigorously dramatic way.
- In the upper panels of the south doors are two events witnessed by the apostles: Pentecost on the left and the Ascension on the right.
- Here we have music for the feast of the Ascension, all scrupulously edited with additions carefully formed from an understanding of the practices of the time.
- If we have not extinguished the paschal candle on Ascension, we may do so during the reading from Acts as the Holy Spirit roars through the assembly.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.