In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
(violence)agresión femeninoassault and battery — agresión con lesiones
- In that case the appellant had been convicted of assault occasioning actual bodily harm by harassing his female victim.
- The father was charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm, but was acquitted.
- He admitted a charge of assault causing actual bodily harm.
- He has previous convictions for theft, robbery and assault causing actual bodily harm.
- The incident is being treated as an assault causing actual bodily harm.
1.2Derecho(molestation) agresión sexual femenino(molestation) ataque contra la libertad sexual masculino(rape) violación femenino
- The 1999 incident represented the third physical assault on the courageous activist in recent years.
- Others are controlled by threats to themselves and their families back home; and others are coerced through brutal physical and sexual assaults.
- Less than three weeks later he was reported for a physical assault on a young boy.
- The attack was the latest assault on the majority Shiite community.
- We received a complaint of a sexual assault on a young girl and had to respond with whatever resources were available to us.
- The sexual assault on two young girls highlighted in a sad and pathetic way that the town is not getting the required resources to tackle what seems to be a constant rise in violence in the area.
- The arrested woman was detained in connection with an allegation of controlling prostitutes for gain and also on suspicion of a violent assault on another woman.
- Two vicious crimes, a serious sexual assault and a brutal attack, happened at almost the same time in different parts of town.
- Police described it as a minor physical assault on a juvenile, apparently after some provocation.
- Sexual assault and violence toward women were taboo subjects and under-reported.
- Other recent violent attacks include an assault on a couple who asked two boys to switch off their mobile phones during a film.
- Though the police spared him from physical assault on realising that they had arrested the wrong person, it took him nearly one month to secure his release.
- Any obstruction or physical assault on his person, while discharging his official duties, should be viewed seriously.
- On September 21, 2001 he committed a sexual assault on an unconscious man with a weapon.
- On every fifth day, an average teacher will be assaulted or witness an assault on staff.
- Physical assault on women by intimate partners is recognized widely as a leading cause of injury to women in the United States.
- ‘A woman was arrested for an alleged assault on a man,’ a spokesman said.
- Activities such as theft can lead the offenders to worse crimes like homicide and sexual assaults.
- Sexual assault is usually violence at the hands of someone the victim knows.
- In 1885 corporal punishment was included in section four of the Criminal Law Amendment Act as the penalty for a sexual assault on a girl under thirteen years of age.
2.1Militarasalto masculinoataque masculinoto make an assault on sth — atacar algo
- before noun assault craft — barcaza de asalto
- assault troops — tropas de asalto
- As battles raged across the city centre, 15 militants mounted an assault on a police station near the airport.
- Owing to the fact that modem operations have an air-land character, combating enemy airborne assault and raid forces is acquiring special urgency.
- Least of all should we cheer-lead a military assault on an already terrified, bloody and starving country.
- There is nothing wrong with employing a brigade to conduct a raid or as the assault element of a major encroachment.
- The series begins with a ferocious military assault on Israel.
- So can we expect an military assault version of the two-wheeled wonder?
- Excessive speed may require that the MICLIC spend more time at the assault position rather than moving quickly forward to fire.
- Rockets and automatic fire stream over your head as you try and hold off the assault on your position.
- In response, the army launched a military assault on the facility in which the men were being held, demolishing parts of the building.
- Last week hundreds of these soldiers launched an assault on their own military headquarters.
- I began to write a response - from the safety of my nice cosy flat - when the news came through that the military assault had begun.
- Both Indian and Pakistan forces found that an assault on well-defended positions was extremely costly.
- Frontal assaults were always attempted as a last resort, but they were costly, and their failures eroded political resolve back home.
- The men moved off in small groups towards their assault positions.
- The player will be presented with a wide array of scenarios, from VIP rescue missions to stealth incursions to full frontal assaults against hordes of enemies.
- Troops also faked attacks before the assault to confuse enemy fighters.
- He might have escaped when the boats first started the assault on the house.
- A military assault on the country cannot be ruled out - at least in the long term.
- The city fell just 21 days after the initial assaults, and military analysts describe the campaign as historic, even brilliant.
- On another occasion during his 11-month tour he led three assaults on an enemy position until it finally fell.
2.2(onslaught)ataque masculinoarremetida femeninoassault on sth — ataque a algo
- an assault on Everest — un intento de escalar el Everest
- the firm is preparing for an assault on the market — la empresa se dispone a conquistar el mercado
- After breakfast, and another sitting, I bundled up and attempted the assault on Marga Point.
- These are hectic days for him and the Irish Chamber Orchestra is now primed for a serious assault on the competitive world of concert performances.
1(use violence against)agrediratacar
- The claimant was a police officer who alleged that a fellow police officer sexually assaulted her while they were both off duty.
- Groups of teenagers slap or otherwise assault unsuspecting members of the public and record the incident on their camera phones.
- He pleaded guilty to assaulting the sergeant on June 24.
- Militants assaulted business managers and extorted money they claimed was compensation for unfair dismissals.
- Apparently, on Sunday, August 18, he assaulted his wife, beating her up pretty badly.
- But his character towards her quickly changed as he began regularly assaulting her, including punching her in the stomach causing her to lose their baby.
- As a teenager, he faced his first court judgement after assaulting the local parish priest.
- The men assaulted the guards, knocking the male to the floor and kicking and punching him while pointing a gun at him.
- He later pleaded guilty to assaulting a police officer and was sentenced to one day in jail.
- In August last year staff were threatened by gunmen and customers made to lie on the floor by four men who stole thousands of pounds and assaulted one worker.
- In the parking lot of the center, Alice was assaulted, knocked down, and her purse was stolen.
- The Executive is considering introducing legislation to make it an offence to obstruct or assault any emergency worker carrying out his or her job.
- A teaching assistant has been cleared of assaulting a teenager who bombarded his house with snowballs.
- When military forces are assaulting civilians, commanders often try to prevent media from telling true stories with pictures and words.
- He also assaulted a woman by slapping her when she refused to give him money.
- Police today retraced the steps of a vicious gang who assaulted two guards before raiding a security van for thousands of pounds of cash.
- One of the allegations was that an educator was still using corporal punishment and had recently assaulted learners by slapping and punching them.
- Police were today hunting two men after a man was viciously assaulted and knocked unconscious outside a nightspot.
- The gang assaulted the couple with clubs, pliers and a torch.
- Several activists were even assaulted by delegates who punched and kicked them before the Secret Service arrested them.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.