In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It has been suggested that impacts with comets and asteroids provided Earth with much of its water.
- Both comets and asteroids are the left-over building blocks of the planets in our solar system.
- Some explanations for extinctions and evolution include strikes by asteroids or comets.
- You can also get asteroid hazard warnings and geomagnetic storm outlooks.
- There may be other families of small asteroids within our solar system that, even now, remain to be discovered.
- Ceres was initially considered to be a planet until other asteroids with similar orbits were found.
- Comets and asteroids also contribute to the near-Earth space environment.
- In many ways asteroids and comets are likely to offer more varied and abundant natural resources than the Moon.
- In our own solar system, asteroids have collided with Earth, the moon and other planets.
- It's just that you can't keep quiet about things like asteroid impacts.
- When the asteroid hit, it was vaporized by the extreme energy of the impact.
- These glaciers are spotted with craters caused by asteroid impacts.
- Our star system is chock full of asteroids and comets, in every conceivable orbit and location.
- We know very little about these families of asteroids following the same orbit.
- Most of the known asteroids orbit the sun in a belt between Mars and Jupiter.
- Most of the larger asteroids and comets are also in stable orbits around the sun.
- Amateur astronomers have made many asteroid, comet, and supernova discoveries.
- Fragments of asteroids and comets pervade interplanetary space.
- So to neglect the problem means that we are vulnerable to asteroid collisions.
- Our knowledge of comets and asteroids has dramatically improved over the last 20 years.
- Dinosaurs may not have been killed off by asteroid impact dust blocking out sunlight, a geologist says.
- Once an asteroid drifts into either of those regions, it's hard for it to get out.
- These scientists also study the natural satellites of other planets as well as asteroids and comets.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.