In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This year we viewed the astounding structure of a hydroelectric dam built across the Danube.
- It has a spectacular location on Coal Harbour and an astounding view.
- Many professional pianists avoid it due to the astounding technical difficulties it poses.
- The most astounding thing about the dot-com boom was the obscene amount of money that was spent.
- To be truthful I find it astounding that Bali has retained its unique character.
- Lalo has produced an astounding body of work and it has recently served as the basis for a new musical.
- We like to reserve this special prize for a person making truly astounding leaps in logic.
- What is even more astounding is that the company has launched eight new models since the beginning of 2000.
- Some friends of mine already know about this and have likely already chortled at my astounding lack of basic knowledge.
- Even more astounding is the fact most of this coaching is carried out by phone.
- The number of people now involved in litigation of one kind or another is nothing short of astounding.
- He finds it astounding to think of the developments that have taken place in the arts in the county in the last decade.
- There were school and college teams that displayed an astounding amount of knowledge on a wide range of subjects.
- Since then, the turnaround has been little short of astounding.
- Despite his astounding virtuosity, he remains in many ways an enigma.
- This was astounding news since York is such a vibrant and thriving city.
- I find it astounding that my childhood was spent almost entirely in one suburban residence.
- Children in one of the country's poorest neighbourhoods have chalked up an astounding improvement in exam scores.
- None of us knew what an astounding difference a year would make.
- One student testifies that he got an astounding 35 credits in a day in one subject.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.