In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The first known astronomical observations made by Galileo were carried out in 1604 for different reasons.
- To astronomers, a transit occurs whenever a small astronomical object passes in front of a larger one.
- In that year he corrected the calendar to bring it into line with his accurate astronomical observations.
- Neptune was the first to be detected as the result of an astronomical calculation rather than accidental observation.
- This material is not related to comets but rather to other astronomical bodies.
- Of all of the astronomical objects, the Sun is the most important to human beings.
- Eclipses result from the astronomical relationship between Earth, Moon and Sun.
- Thus the core mystery is not yet solved: what kind of astronomical object could explode so catastrophically?
- By 1905, of course, astronomical observations had greatly improved due to photography.
- In astronomy he worked on making observations more precise by improving astronomical instruments.
- From Lippershey, Galileo picked up the idea of building a telescope for astronomical research.
- This discovery was of great importance to the astronomical world, but Hubble's greatest moment was yet to come.
- A corollary of this is that, before Hipparchus, astronomical tables based on Greek geometrical methods did not exist.
- The celestial globe is an astronomical instrument used to measure the stars and the nature of the universe.
- Zach was now appointed as director of a new astronomical observatory to be built at Seeberg, Gotha.
- One of the most extraordinary buildings is a circular astronomical observatory.
- Al-Mahri used astronomical observations of the height of stars to determine the difference in latitude between two places.
- He began correcting the errors in existing astronomical tables by making observations of the motion of the planets with a cheap telescope.
- His interest in optics also fitted in with an interest in making astronomical observations.
- The Moon could also become the principal astronomical observation platform in the solar system.
- Although such reports are often discounted as meteor showers or astronomical phenomena, other sightings are not so easy to dismiss.
2(amount/prices) astronómicoof astronomical proportions — de proporciones gigantescas
- Next he went on to tell me how hard it was for him to pay the astronomical education fees for his daughter on the money he made as a taxi driver.
- Not every company charges an astronomical rate, a massive arrangement fee and suggests a loan which extends to the next generation.
- Such astronomical fees would put university beyond the reach of many.
- A total of 15,200 workers have come to Britain this summer, some expecting to earn astronomical sums.
- Even some of the more hardened observers are stunned by the astronomical amounts of money that can be made.
- Centre forwards are match winners - they are the ones who spark bidding wars and attract the astronomical transfer fees.
- The ornateness of the decoration and the skill of the band must have required an astronomical amount of money.
- Now the truth is that the government wants people to smoke, as the amount of tax that we pay on cigarettes in astronomical.
- If you add all the money raised for cancer research each year, you will have an astronomical amount.
- If we agree to this, in a very short time fees will be at astronomical levels and we will have created a market in higher education.
- It seems the pay is average but the workplace hazard allowance is astronomical.
- To my advantage was the fact I wouldn't cost an astronomical fee.
- It is spending astronomical amounts of money, alienating allies and further antagonizing opponents.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.