In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(jumping/leaping) atléticamenteathletically built — de constitución atlética
- athletically gifted — especialmente dotado para el atletismo
- He was athletically built and he was seriously skinny.
- A decade later and the sport is not only more athletically demanding, but there is clearly a younger breed of competitor more willing to challenge established methods.
- Phillips has taken up the challenge to develop a higher level of interest among the more athletically inclined students.
- Tyler has applied himself both academically and athletically.
- Male athletes in general face greater present and long-term pressures to succeed athletically than do female athletes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.