In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1EEUU(active sports)deportes masculino
- Were ancient athletics useful for preparing young Greek men for the battlefield?
- Having done athletics and played netball the transition to rugby was not difficult.
- And after that you have athletics and golf and tennis and whatever you like yourself.
- Encouraged by his father to take up to athletics, he took to it like a duck taking to water.
2Britanico(track and field)atletismo masculino
- Jackson ended his wonderful athletics career with a fifth place in the final of the 60m hurdles.
- But it is only thanks to her big brother Marlon, a useful sprinter, that she turned to athletics.
- Jarlath Duffy won his award following a very successful year on the athletics track.
- The report into Australian athletics is expected to be published on Monday.
- Sanchez's dominance of his event is almost unique in the world of athletics.
- In my commentary I said it was probably the most unpopular win in athletics.
- It is not just in athletics that competitors have tried to evade being drug-tested.
- Kelly Holmes last night became only the seventh British woman to win an athletics gold medal at the Olympics.
- But Moorcroft insisted that there was still an air of optimism in British athletics.
- Just like the pole vault in athletics, you need the right equipment before you can even see if you have a talent.
- The club caters for all aspects of athletics, track and field, indoor and cross country.
- Bright sunshine and mild temperatures heralded the first athletics competition of the year on Sunday.
- As a student in 1936 Andrew went to Berlin to compete at athletics with German medical students.
- Fredericks will always be remembered fondly by athletics fans around the world.
- Did competitors at the world athletics championships receive payment for taking part?
- The other topic that has dogged athletics, as it has so many sports in recent years, is drugs.
- Alongside football, athletics is probably the sport I know and care most about.
- Mr Richards was a keen athlete who scooped hundreds of medals in a range of sports from swimming to athletics.
- Public facilities will include playing fields, an indoor sports arena and an athletics track.
- It was then that he took up athletics very seriously and also took on the triple jump, which he had not done before.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.