In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1de banda a banda
- While Matsya lay athwart the route from the northern lands to the ports on the western coast, it was not a place of great enterprise.
- The site benefited from centuries of Indian custom in that it lay athwart an old Indian portage between Lakes Pontchartrain and Borgne and the river, the trail that now terminated as Rue de l' Hôpital.
- The Island of St. Germain, the objective of the action, is a low mound of earth surrounded by swamps and was athwart the division zone of advance.
- The old men pose athwart a water wheel.
- To the south, athwart the mountain's lower slope, was a maze of byways and ramshackle housing for the native population.
- ‘We're so happy this restaurant is here,’ confided another matriarch when I inquired about the twisty little phyllo-pastry purse athwart her salad of Asian pear and gleaming field greens.
- But to place that tribute athwart the vista of the mall would be the act of a country that no longer understands its own history.
- I glance in the mirror and find, to my disappointment, that she's still athwart the bike.
- Appleby, the county town, suffered greatly from Scottish raids, since it was athwart an easy line of advance across Stainmore towards Durham and York.
- He took his hand off the hilt of his dagger at last, though still his eyes were fixed athwart the city.
- Grenada lay athwart vital US sea lanes, thus threatening all transatlantic trade.
- The solar flares and the corona of the sun danced athwart the planet's silhouette.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.