In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In science, Newton's laws for falling objects were based on the concept of gravitational attraction.
- As its name suggests, this is a powerful force of attraction that operates between all protons and neutrons.
- The energy of attraction between protons and neutrons is about a million times greater than the chemical binding energy between atoms.
- The second force, which balances the gravitational attraction, is known as the centripetal force.
- As an exercise you might try computing the electrostatic attraction between an electron and a proton and compare it with the gravitational attraction.
- Gravitational forces of attraction always exist between two objects of any mass, but it takes an object as large as a planet for this force to become noticeable.
- The gravitational attraction between the two might follow a force law that differs from Newton's law of gravity.
- Of course, while atoms interact via well defined forces of attraction and repulsion, people are seldom so straightforward.
- The forces of attraction between ions in an ionic compound are very strong.
- He attributed gravitation to the forces of mutual attraction between material objects.
- The electrical attraction between a proton and an electron is forty powers of ten stronger than their gravitational attraction.
- This electrostatic attraction, called an ionic bond, is much weaker than a covalent bond of shared electrons.
- But gravitational attraction depends on distance and mass.
- Black holes are objects for which the gravitational attraction is so strong that nothing, not even light, can escape from it.
2(interest)I still feel a great attraction toward the place — todavía me atrae mucho el lugar
- babies hold no attraction for me — los bebés no me atraen
- what's the attraction? — ¿qué atractivo tiene?
- We discuss sexual attraction and relationships.
- In acknowledging its attraction we diminish its power.
- Regardless, it raises interesting questions concerning the ways in which sexual attraction is bound up with aspirations.
- Because of course pheromones, as you probably already know, stimulate sexual attraction.
- I'm thinking today about the nature of sexual attraction.
- There is no physical contact or obvious sexual attraction in the bath scene.
- Although he embraced his sexuality more than the others, physical attraction was lacking.
- He had never met the man, but already he could sense his power, his attraction.
- These can express everything from sexual attraction to intellectual or physical dominance.
- No, it was probably only baseless physical, sexual attraction.
- I did everything in my power to resist his attraction.
- The way I feel about her goes way beyond physical attraction.
- Pheromones trigger basic responses, such as sexual attraction.
- This was physical attraction, sexual temptation, nothing more.
- Men, on the other hand, more frequently replied that sexual attraction was a prime reason for initiating a friendship, and that it could even deepen a friendship.
- Platonic love is devoid of any physical attraction or sexual interest.
- The attraction of political power is said to have reconciled his alienated parental family.
- The power of attraction will only have a chance to work though, if the other partner is open minded and willing to consider something new.
- As human beings we cannot deny our attraction to anything sexual.
- Things I want in a relationship: intelligence, physical attraction, reciprocal love.
3(attractive feature)atractivo masculinothe main attraction — el principal atractivo
- The lake's attractions for anglers was of significant economic importance to the Bangor area.
- Are there specific features, attractions, or wildlife that you were hoping to see?
- But the beauty of the scenery and the charm of Thai culture are unlikely to hold any attractions for them now.
- Reading a book damages the spine, which reduces its attractions for potential buyers.
- We have a wide range of attractions for all ages and we are grateful to all the Friends for their help in organising the event.
- Being part of a community is one of the biggest attractions for new crofters.
- Within the village itself, there are other attractions for those keen on immersing themselves in local history.
- The airfield is one of the main attractions for the current residents - often bankers and businessmen who fly in from abroad for the weekend.
- The beaches here are perfect for family and children as they offer fabulous attractions for all.
- Face painting was one of the many attractions for the children.
- Future gains are likely to be more sedate although the shares have their attractions for those seeking some stability.
- The library has special attractions for children and young people could find no better pastime than reading.
- These social technologies have attractions for the writer and journalist.
- The region has a number of attractions for potential investors.
- The supplier of financial information has two main attractions for private investors.
- One of the attractions for companies and groups is the range of activities available.
- One of the main attractions for users to have mobile phones is that they offer the ability to roam and to make telephone calls from almost anywhere.
- He believes colour and convenience are the main attractions for beginner or novice gardeners buying plants.
- But you can see the attractions for the international high flyer.
- The quality of the workforce is one of the attractions for entrepreneurs and investors in the Paisley area.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.