In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Cut the aubergine and courgettes into neat 1.5cm cubes or diamonds with skins on, for the colour.
- The vegetables - aubergine, pepper, mushroom and onion - were slightly spicy, and served still warm.
- Grill the aubergines, fennel, courgettes, and peppers, a few at a time, brushing with plenty of olive oil and seasoning on both sides until well coloured and tender.
- Lift out the aubergine, tomato and some of the onion with a draining spoon.
- Even the chargrilled vegetables - which included courgettes, aubergines and sweet peppers - were excellent.
- Served warm, the big, fat, juicy peppers, courgettes and aubergines had a breath of garlic and were consumed with great gusto.
- This was a large portion of delicious aubergines, courgettes and peppers, roasted and served in a tasty marinade.
- This is a lovely way of doing a variety of fried vegetables, like aubergines, courgettes, pumpkin, spinach and squash.
- Just then, my next course arrives; it turns out to be a stuffed aubergine pie with layers of wild mushroom.
- Although the ground remains too hard to sow direct, meaning the parsnips still aren't in, the aubergines were sown yesterday in soil blocks in the greenhouse.
- A variety of organic vegetables is grown under glass at the site, including aubergines, courgettes, peppers, lettuce, runner beans, peas and pumpkins.
- Heat a large frying pan or wok and then fry off the vegetables in turn, aubergines first then peppers then courgettes.
- Peel the charred skin off the peppers, aubergines and onions.
- It will surprise no one to hear that the aubergine is my favourite vegetable.
- Slice the aubergines crosswise, brush with a little extra olive oil and grill on both sides until well marked.
- He also grows grapes, tomatoes, aubergines, peppers, squash, sage, thyme, rosemary and bay.
- Remove the leaves from the top of the aubergine then cut the fruit into four lengthways.
- Halve the tomatoes, again lengthways, and cut the aubergine into short, thick chunks then add them to the potatoes.
- Combine the aubergine, pepper and courgettes and spread over the potatoes.
- Since the resort began supporting local enterprises, many of the people have started growing new crops like courgettes, aubergines and peppers.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.