In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1bridge subastado masculino
- The bridge club offers contract and not auction bridge.
- British civil servants in remote India developed the practice of bidding for the privilege of calling the trump suit, thus introducing ‘auction bridge.’
- But he also studied the writings of Milton Work, the greatest authority on auction bridge.
- This is the game that the plain word ‘bridge ‘originally referred to, before the development of auction bridge and then today's contract bridge.’
- She won first prize at auction bridge twice, enjoyed theatres and moving picture shows, went to parties, receptions, dinners, and other social functions, and had a good time.
- In turn, bridge evolved into auction bridge in the first decade of the 20th century, and contract bridge was developed in the 1920s and '30s.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.