In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Yes this is the authoress speaking, and yes I have a purpose for doing so.
- I know this is the first authoress' note so far in the story.
- The blame for this, I am afraid, must fall fairly and squarely on the shoulders of the authoress and director of the piece, and I am disappointed that the pleasure I had anticipated from what I had read of the play was denied me.
- After three and four wretched months of writers block, the authoress extraordinare returns!
- Alexis seems to be modeled after me, the authoress.
- Thank you for your interest in our young authoress and her book.
- She is a wealthy English authoress living in and running a boarding house in Umbria, Italy.
- It appears to me perfectly clear that she was not the authoress of the letters which were produced to the court.
- Churchill lowered silver eyebrows at the authoress.
- She was a well-known authoress, and (under a pseudonym) had written a series on a girl who lived on a farm and had horses.
- The overpaid authoress of the report unwittingly admitted this fact when she stated, ‘In conducting this research, we found attacks on feminists on a lot of sites.’
- For an authoress such as myself, reviews make the world go round.
- She first read out a letter which the authoress had written to her husband in 1943.
- Remember, I'm the authoress… I can make you do anything I want.
- I want to become a published authoress, and write books that people will love to read.
- We use author and poet rather than authoress and poetess, but until fairly recently it was permissible to distinguish persons who act by gender.
- That is hardly the fault of the authoress, who was presumably fulfilling a specific brief.
- I was particularly pleased with the description on the site: ‘The book is nevertheless a cheerful romp, just like its authoress.’
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.