In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- She plays a small stringed instrument called an autoharp, but it is her voice that makes this a memorable record.
- The autoharp strums a single chord every 2 bars in the verse, but in the chorus changes chords.
- The least accessible track is the second, which takes a dense swirl of autoharp and guitar notes and slowly submerges them in an organ drone that rises over the course of 12 minutes.
- To the left is Big Al on mainly double bass and autoharp.
- She strums an old autoharp as she croons some of the best country tunes from the '40s.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.