In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(obtainable)to be easily / readily available — ser fácil de conseguir
- cigarettes are available in packs of 10 or 20 — los cigarrillos vienen / se venden en paquetes de 10 o 20
- these cups are available only as part of a set — estas tazas solo se venden como parte de un juego
- brochures are available on request — hay folletos a disposición de quien los solicite
- food and drink will be available at the fair — en la feria habrá comida y bebida
- the smallest size/the only brand available — la talla más pequeña/la única marca que hay
- [ S ]available only on prescription — venta bajo receta médica
- Counselling and a helpline have been made available to pupils and a book of remembrance is being set up.
- All it has to do is be available to subscribers in places where other access is expensive or exclusive.
- Extra resources will be made available to act on information provided by members of the public.
- The board should encourage the government to increase the tax breaks available to donors.
- This option is only available to those able to pay an initial consultation fee.
- We need to improve the information available to patients on quality and access.
- This information seems to have been obtained from file notes which were not made available to us.
- It wants to expand to make sure tennis is available to any level of player, from beginner to advanced.
- Workers will be able to find out about what help will be available to them to find another job.
- The new service will be centralised, and available to all those authorised to access it.
- I have written a poem about this but it is not available to me at the moment.
- They should have had the funds available to carry out the work on the chapel.
- The report produced by the planning inspector is expected to be available to the public this week.
- My conscience is clear as I know we gave her the best we could with what we had available to us.
- They will also be able to advise on the type of grants and funding available to you locally.
- There are no records available to show whether other mice have lived as long.
- Adam also highlighted worries that the drug might not be equally available to all sufferers.
- The plans, which also include a club house, are now available to view at Telegraph House.
- Whether such financial help will be available to Edinburgh to restore the site is unlikely.
- The cash will be available to local authorities, charities and disability groups.
2(at sb's disposal)(resources/manpower) disponiblethe available funds — los fondos disponibles
- to examine the available alternatives / the alternatives available — estudiar las posibles alternativas
- use every available means to prevent it — usa todos los medios a tu alcance / de que dispongas para impedirlo
- he uses every available minute for studying — aprovecha cada minuto que tiene para estudiar
- book me on the earliest available flight — consígame un billete en el primer vuelo que pueda
- available for sth
- these books are available for reference only — estos libros son solo de consulta
- the club rooms are available for hire by members — los salones del club están a disposición de los socios que deseen alquilarlos
- available to sb
- what other options were available to us? — ¿qué otras opciones teníamos?
- education should be available to all citizens — todos los ciudadanos deberían tener acceso a la educación
- to make sth available to sb — poner algo a disposición de algn
3(free, contactable)libreis the principal available? — ¿está libre el director?
- Mr Smith is not available for comment — el señor Smith no está dispuesto a formular declaraciones
- when will you be available to start work? — ¿cuándo podrá empezar a trabajar?
- I'm available all day on this number — se me puede localizar a cualquier hora del día en este teléfono
- How can they be available for a photo opportunity but not there to help people in their hour of need?
- The number of staff affected is unknown and nobody from the firm was available for comment.
- He was not available for comment on Monday but has vowed to clear himself of the allegations.
- It is unclear how many Muslim teachers work in Scotland and would be available to run such schools.
- Entrants should indicate if they will be available to travel to Westport in the event of winning.
- The procedure is now often carried out in units where no such team is available.
- He wants them to be successful immediately so he buys the world's best available players.
- If anybody is looking for a new football manager then remember Harry is available again!
- They were quite willing to sit down and talk to us and even gave the council dates when they were available.
- Since she is not available, the only evidence of this is what she has told Graham.
- She added that the necessary staff are not available at weekends to allow people to view their cars.
- Nor could we depend on the same people being available the next day to finish an interrupted game.
- She said the youngsters had a high level of need but the teachers were not available to support them.
- To learn from books was only possible for Nicholas if people were available to read to him.
- As a manager I used to get stressed on Friday when players would ring and say they were not available.
- It is inevitable that when a staff photo of a bus company is taken, not all members are available.
- All this was done at a time when staff were available and the word redundant was unknown.
- I did write a show and had him in mind for the lead but he was not available.
- When the town casts around for someone to blame Vernon is the best available candidate.
- You can also specify the area and days you're available to find a voluntary position to suit you.
4eufemismo(sexually)libre y dispuesto
- There are a lot of great women out there just waiting to meet the man of their dreams but finding these available women can take a little creativity.
- There is one burning question that most women over the age of 35 discuss all the time - where on earth are all the interesting and available men?
- Taking Sydney, a city much decried for its man shortage, the census shows the number of available men actually outnumbers available women in most age groups.
- When you are in a relationship with a woman and you are doing your best to remain faithful you can begin to stop looking for single or available women.
- From the Oprah show, they did a "scientific" study of where the available men are, and I note that my city didn't make the list.
- Married men have been chasing single women for a very long time and available women have been falling for them for just as long.
- It is for these reasons that singles travel groups have become a common option for guys to find interesting and available women.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.