In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The night before each trial, birds were captured from aviaries and weighed.
- In the two first experiments, the experimental sparrow was placed in an aviary next to a cage containing either a rabbit or a cat.
- A trial typically started once the experimenter left the aviary and the birds flew down from their perches onto the grid.
- That was until someone has deliberately let the birds out of their aviary.
- Where else in town do you see Jack Russell dogs playing in a garden filled with colourful sweetpeas or hear the sweet songs of birds perching in the aviary?
- Pain said three aviaries large enough to hold 20 birds of each of the three species are currently being built at the facility.
- Housing for these birds should be an aviary with dimensions of at least 8 feet by 5 feet by 6 feet.
- Birds were kept in large outdoor aviaries, which were opened after a week.
- His neighbour in turn fired off a complaint to the council about the noise made by the large collection of birds in his aviary.
- In the current experiments females were in cages or aviaries with males with whom they had not previously bred.
- The rest of the exhibition resembled a garden aviary of brightly colored birds.
- At the end of the breeding season phase, we removed birds from their home aviaries and conducted a mating competency tournament.
- Birds awoke within 3 min and were placed into small recovery cages before being released into their housing aviaries.
- Animal lover Janet has an outdoor aviary with 40 other birds plus three dogs, two cats and fish.
- Only birds kept in sufficiently large aviaries were chosen.
- The birds in the aviary, not to be left behind, revelled in their own little way in quenching their thirst and conquering the heat.
- Adult captive birds were observed in aviaries and zoos in England, Germany, and the USA.
- Ragunan Zoo was forced to close on Sept.19 after 19 birds in its aviary tested positive with avian influenza.
- As ornamental birds in an aviary or large cage setup, this is true.
- After each trial, lights were used again to entice birds back to the roosting aviary.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.