In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(wait for)esperarwe are anxiously awaiting more news — estamos impacientes a la espera de / esperando más noticias
- await further instructions — espere a recibir nuevas instrucciones
- the result still awaits confirmation — el resultado no ha sido confirmado aún
- prisoners awaiting trial — detenidos a la espera de juicio
- a long awaited event — un acontecimiento muy esperado
- Grace moved over to a pile of flowers located not far from the bodies that awaited burial.
- The trout fishing event was eagerly awaited, there was a large entry for Senior and Junior events.
- On one occasion, her cooker broke down on a Sunday morning, while six guests awaited their breakfast.
- Odessa are well on the way to completing their eagerly awaited debut album, which is due out early May.
- Possibly it will convince me that it is time to get a proper job, settle down and get married and have kids and await my inevitable death.
- This depicts a seated lady with an animal head, in front of whom are two animals that appear to be awaiting sacrifice.
- She had earlier spent several months in the prison on remand while awaiting trial.
- I constantly kept looking out of my bedroom window awaiting the big event.
- We ordered at the servery and while awaiting our meal viewed the tranquil scene.
- This event is anxiously awaited every year by those Pattaya folk who know how to shop for a great bargain.
- He said the postmortem results on the cause of the baby's death were awaited.
- She says she has done whatever she can in this life and now she only awaits death at the right time.
- That the sequels are the most eagerly awaited cinematic event of the year is not in question.
- Cavalry were meant to await a breakthrough before exploiting breaches in enemy lines with a heroic drive forward.
- The man appeared before a magistrate and was remanded to Bordelais to await trial.
- I doubt whether fine moral judgements are that convincing to a heifer awaiting its death.
- We await your performance with interest and not a little trepidation.
- Our legal advice is that we must await the conclusion of the tribunal report.
- After a few minutes the whole of the crew were on the command deck and awaiting the briefing.
- As the three boys awaited the end of snack, they strolled all around the school campus.
2(be in store for)esperaraguardarwho knows what fate awaits us — quién sabe qué nos deparará el destino
- He says that a bigger trauma awaited him after the theft, in the form of claiming insurance.
- Some of the tribunals are still in session, and we don't yet know what nasty shocks await us.
- An even bigger surprise awaits fans of Dylan's craft who make it to the end of the piece.
- Fame, fortune and an executive directorship awaits you should you succeed.
- A rich assortment awaits the kids with illustrated mythologies to the latest fun publications.
- It only took several seconds to reach his locker and another surprise awaited him.
- A whole new carbohydrate-heavy cuisine awaits you; can I have some bread with my rice and noodles?
- But mostly I see and feel every step and every breath as a prayer… with thanks for all that awaits me.
- What adventures await our hero in the post-communist utopia of the Czech Republic?
- If we still insist on remaining blind, only worse kinds of defeat will await us in the future.
- A little surprise awaited me inside the building I had seen my whole life and never been inside.
- These were the treasures that awaited us at the local candy store, a mere crosswalk away.
- He had already printed out our tickets and the ferry awaited us, and the three people behind us.
- We share what we have, one homeless person to another, and so step a little closer to the home that finally awaits us.
- Another unique transportation adventure awaits you on one of Hong Kong's buses or trams.
- Once in the driving seat, a truly great motoring experience awaits you.
- Another surprise awaits us when we calculate the length of the diagonal across the brick.
- The biggest prizes at the top events await anyone who can conquer their nerves and make the most of the current gap in the market.
- Many of our soldiers, sailors and airmen will be lost or severely wounded many lives will be shattered as a very grave period awaits us.
- All that was before any of us realised what a long, drawn out affair was awaiting us.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.