In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1informal(weather/journey/day) horrible(journey/day/weather) espantoso(day/weather/journey) atroz(clothes) horroroso(clothes) espantoso(joke/movie) malísimo(movie/joke) pésimoit smells awful — huele muy mal
- he's an awful man — es un repugnante
- I know it sounds awful, but I found it amusing — te parecerá una barbaridad, pero me hizo gracia
- I felt awful — me sentía fatal / muy mal
- I've an awful feeling I left the door unlocked — ¡qué horror! me parece que no cerré la puerta con llave
- for one awful moment I thought he had seen me — pasé un momento horrible / espantoso creyendo que me había visto
- you are awful! I didn't mean that — ¡qué malo eres! / ¡qué mal pensado eres! no fue eso lo que quise decir
- I'm awful at chess — soy un desastre jugando al ajedrez
- how awful for the poor girl! — ¡qué horror! ¡pobre chica!
- But on too many other things, he's been poor to awful - especially on class issues.
- I'm not sure what was the most laughably awful thing about this movie.
- It was awful, and it cheapened the brand, if a brand existed.
- There were a few speeches, plus some awful, awful poetry and choral music.
- Aside from that, I thought most of the speeches were pretty awful.
- She finished this awful speech and looked at me triumphantly.
- The wider one's sampling of a genre, the more abysmally awful stuff one encounters.
- Sure, the acting is laughably awful and the dialogue is unintentionally hilarious.
- Most made-for-TV animation is pretty bad, with uneven animation, awful scripts, and poor execution.
- Taking one spoon full into my mouth sent me hurling towards the sink to spit out the awful substance that I had chosen to try and digest.
- The speeches can sometimes be awful but his was very amusing.
- Laughably awful dialogue is liberally slathered onto the stock adventure setup and the characters' true natures are obvious from the start.
- Not only does it look awful but it smells dreadful.
- Retaining so much creative advice from when I quit my terrible, awful job two months ago, we were able to draft his resignation letter in no time.
- But above all it is the players who must be held accountable for this awful, pathetic display.
- Such were the things I told myself to get through that awful speech.
- And so, as the film ended, I couldn't work out why what I watched seemed to be a well directed, interesting film, choked by awful dialogue and poor plotting.
- Cabbages are green, taste awful, and make lousy pets.
- Injuries have hurt the offense a bit so far, and the pitching has been poor but not awful.
- The problem is then he turned around and went to Columbia University on Wednesday and gave an awful speech on the economy.
1.2informalshe's an awful snob/bore — es terriblemente esnob/aburrida
- I made an awful fool of myself.
- Some people find these birds to be an awful nuisance.
- But she had made an awful mess of it.
- There's an awful risk of confusion for buyers.
- Apparently he led his wife an awful dance.
- It's still an awful burden.
- Though Jo had resolved never to marry, still she felt an awful loneliness as she wondered what direction her life should take.
- They walk in awful splendor, regal yet.
- How does God begin and carry forward his submissive prostration of the soul, before his awful justice?
- The awful majesty of God now will not be in the way to hinder perfect freedom and intimacy in the enjoyment of God.
- He is not always the evil, ghoulish, awful, frightening character that sometimes the Satanists would picture him to be.
2.2literary (terrible)(destruction/revenge) atroz
- She presided over a quiet part of Ireland, and though it was not without its problems, extremely awful things didn't often happen.
- At the time of writing, there is same optimism regarding an end to this bloody awful war that we should not be involved in, so I hope that our men and women can be saved and soon return to us.
- You committed some bloody awful crimes, I mean you burst into banks, you held guns to people's heads, you threatened them, you assaulted them.
- It was no surprise really that when he made that shocking and awful accusation, he was across the Atlantic, presumably discussing already how the spoils of war were to be divided.
- In a strange sense this event helped to bring home that awful atrocity.
- There doesn't seem to be any ability to understand how or why terrorists might be led to do the admittedly horrifying and awful and frightful things that they've done.
- The awful sight of the bloody lieutenant writhing around on the ground was enough to sober him up from his delusional state.
- And it seemed to me that what he was trying to do was to link this dreadful, awful terrorist attack on the World Trade Center to his view of what was going on in the Middle East.
- Something so dreadful, so awful, so horrifying, that Miiken could not stand the sight of it.
- Not every bad thing that happens, not even every awful, horrific thing, is necessarily traumatic.
- I am human because I feel pain when I hear or read about these awful crimes, the perpetrators don't give a damn.
- I'm tired of writing about the awful atrocities carried out in the name of Christianity, decency, or family values.
- What was so tragic was to know that, through no fault of their own, they are caught up in the awful atrocities being carried out in their homeland.
- One might object that Elizabethan and Jacobean Justice was every bit as cruel and bloody as the awful spectacle that Moryson witnessed.
- Is it just that the war isn't just, so that even small numbers of deaths in the war are awful atrocities?
- So everything is stage managed to make the awful, horrific attack something very special.
- During that time, however, some awful atrocities were perpetrated by the IRA.
- The true origin of Valentine's Day is bloody awful, involving a saint and a massacre and gangsters and machine guns.
- He wrote letters to congressmen telling them that something awful and ‘bloody’ had occurred.
- On August 19, 1942, the Marines engaged the enemy in an awful, bloody battle.
1I'm awful hot — tengo un calor espantoso
- it's an awful long way to Tulsa — Tulsa está lejísimos
- Sounds awful touchy-feely, but sometimes the most revolutionary ideas are touchy-feely.
- The locals have been wondering for an awful long time now when he will get around to scoring for their club.
- He has gotten awful buddy-buddy with them lately - maneuvering for the job?
- This case should be awful tough for a prosecutor to put on.
- This is an awful serious proposition… Let me argue it out for you.
- And yet those games of the early 80s seem awful quaint now, don't they?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.