In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1lenguaje de bebé masculinolengua de trapo femeninodon't use baby talk to her — no le hables en media lengua coloquial
- If she needs a favour done urgently she asks in baby talk.
- Martin garbled baby talk and wailed out giggles.
- At the time of apprehension S.H.S.P. used little language other than baby talk, which was difficult to understand.
- Forms of baby talk are also used in jocular, intimate conversation.
- Peter Farb, a linguist and anthropologist, carried out a fascinating study about baby talk.
- We were too old for baby talk, too young for discussions about philosophy, local politics and international affairs.
- The pair of them seemed to be having a conversation of their own in their own little world of baby talk.
- I thought that you said that you never would talk baby talk to her?
- His parenting skills were described as poor and he as being rigid, inflexible, confrontational and a poor influence on C.T. as she reverted to baby talk when she was with him.
- Occasionally, between poems, she chattered in a form of baby talk.
- All recordings contained the same nonsense mutterings, but some mimicked the singsong rhythm of baby talk - known to spark infants' interest - while others sounded flat.
- In baby talk, mothers simplify and formalize their behavior.
- Such baby talk itself originated, she posits, as a response to two other hallmarks of human evolution: upright walking and big brains.
- Joyce begins his Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man with a couple of pages of just gurgley, gooey baby talk, describing the world as seen by an infant from its crib.
- Mothers employed none of the acoustic signatures of baby talk while talking to another adult.
- And I think one of the mothers who said she didn't speak like that, when we recorded it, she was in fact probably one of the more pronounced people using baby talk.
- Also, grandparents' names often come from a toddler's inability to pronounce a certain name; presumably the 5-year-old kid you are writing about is beyond baby talk.
- Because we are exchanging - instead of simple talk, and silly talk, and simple words, baby talk - we are now communicating ideas from one to the other.
- The author of several books on child development, she says the show's use of baby talk is not only ineffective but potentially detrimental to speech development.
- The older child may become extremely jealous and display aggressive behavior toward the baby or such regressive acts as bed-wetting or baby talk.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.