In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of race track)recta de fondo femenino
- Crawfish King and Hot Space attempted to challenge their unbeaten rival on the backstretch but were no match for Lost in the Fog, who was ridden out after gaining a commanding five-length lead entering the stretch.
- I was kind of getting tired of holding him down the backstretch.
- High Peaks went to the front and was soon joined by Megascape as the pair raced along the backstretch noses apart.
- Pampered Princess was positioned between rivals in the backstretch, with Capeside Lady to her outside.
- Racing up the backstretch Chino Charlie, on the rail, broke down and fell as Apalachian Thunder opened up a four-length lead.
- This allowed pacesetters Free Vacation and Dawson's Legacy, both local horses facing rivals from four other countries, to make the running along the backstretch.
- ‘When we headed down the backstretch I saw about four of them up there [on the lead] and that just made it sweeter,’ he said.
- He broke well and got a little bit of dirt in his face before he got right up in the bridle down the backstretch.
- He passed horses on the outside down the backstretch, but as he made the lead after the first quarter, he ducked toward the rail.
- Along the backstretch they raced with 15 lengths separating Danz Star, who had pulled his way into the lead, and King Johny still last.
- Proving that history does indeed repeat itself, the dark bay or brown filly showcased the same talent that first surfaced a year ago when she charged up four wide around the final turn after tracking the pace in fifth down the backstretch.
- We were able to close the gap down the backstretch [on the final lap] and he just took off around the far turn.
- Fifth on the inside down the backstretch, he had to wait until midstretch before he could angle Perfect Sting between rivals and they just got up for the victory.
- ‘He broke great and relaxed nicely down the backstretch,’ e said.
- Black Ruby visited the starting gate and jogged while Taz jogged on the backstretch.
- He angled the six-year-old daughter of Desert King to one off the fence from her No.14 post position, and by the time they were racing down the backstretch she was hugging the rail.
- The son of Mr. Prospector, a $4-million yearling purchase, was angled to the outside leaving the backstretch and made a powerful run on the turn to reach the leaders.
- On Sunday, the Kentucky-bred son of Pulpit stretched that streak to four when he rated a ground-saving fourth down the backstretch before plunging through a tiny hole on the inside to notch his second consecutive graded stakes victory.
- Indian Vale, who was unbeaten in three starts prior to the race, set a pressured pace but Amazing Buy challenged her step-for-step through the first turn and along the backstretch.
- Birdstone moved within striking distance along the backstretch and overtook Lion Heart from three wide in the far turn.
2(accommodation area)caballeriza femenino
- Currently, there is no winter stabling in New Jersey until Monmouth Park opens its backstretch in April.
- The backstretch and racing surfaces at the Baltimore, Maryland, track have been closed since mid-June as part of as a renovation project that included widening both the main track and turf course.
- Horsemen will dedicate $3.5 million of their annual share annually for capital improvements on the backstretch for as long as NYRA retains its franchise.
- As a newcomer coming to the track, are you aware of the fact there's an 18-hole golf course on the backstretch?
- ‘The people here in the backstretch are often the only family they've got,’ he told the publication.
- The California Horse Racing Board has increased security on backstretches throughout the state since four sponging incidents at Santa Anita in October.
- Many of the G Racing members have been present on the backstretch all week at Lone Star Park.
- Horsemen will be asked to send their horses to that barn as the field for the previous race leaves the backstretch for the paddock.
- Training centers and breeding farms also could be become unionized by grooms and other employees under the new California law that allows unions to solicit members on the backstretches of racetracks.
- It replaces the Bay Meadows hospital lost in 1996 when that track's barn area was relocated after the backstretch was sold for development.
- I've never seen anyone work as hard as Lucy for the betterment of the people on the backstretch and the sport of racing.
- It was not immediately known what effect, if any, the fireworks show had on the Breeders' Cup runners stabled on the nearby backstretch.
- The corral will be located on the backstretch of the Speedway's famous 2.5-mile oval.
- The sale was conducted in a tent on the Saratoga Race Course backstretch with sale horses stabled at the track.
- Both riders were injured when their horses ducked into the inside rail when they saw an infield walking path used to bring horses from the backstretch to the saddling enclosure.
- With the barns at Pimlico Race Course full, other horsemen have been stabling horses in a makeshift tent city on that track's backstretch.
- Furthermore, the track used an elevated wood-chip walking path in the infield for horses to cut through on their way from the backstretch to the paddock.
- Management has been incredibly helpful to us in our efforts to relocate horses from the Philadelphia Park backstretch.
- Five barns with 34 stalls each will open on the Thistledown backstretch Thursday, increasing the Cleveland-area track's stable capacity to 34 barns and 1,598 stalls.
- We especially enjoy delivering stories about Louisville residents who work on the backstretch and behind the scenes at the Derby.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.