In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(pin-on) chapa femenino(pin-on) botón masculino América Latina(sew-on) insignia femeninopoliceman's badge — placa de policía femenino
- a badge of success — un símbolo / una señal de éxito
- His name was written on a plastic badge on his lapel amongst a plethora of badges bearing Rupert's face.
- Jim has always worn the badge of Killarney with honour, distinction and pride.
- Each of the bug-busters will be clearly identified by a badge provided by the drug company, which supports the programme.
- The mediators will also have their photographs on a noticeboard and will wear pale and dark blue ribbon badges to identify themselves.
- If students are to wear proper uniforms, for economy's sake make them of the same design and colours for all schools, with a badge to identify the wearer's school.
- Firefighters are identified by a badge that designates their company.
- All our wardens carry name badges and will always identify themselves when they approach a member of the public.
- It appears he may have been senior staff because of the wreath design of the cap badge.
- Members of the Party also identify themselves by wearing an enamel badge in the design of the Earl's mask.
- They will wear uniforms similar to traffic wardens with peaked caps which bear the blue and white band and a blue badge saying Police Community Support Officer.
- On the way to pick up a sandwich I was redirected to a sidewalk by a man with a plastic badge and a headset.
- We had badges to identify who was on which bus and we had to go to a specific area which was corralled off.
- Some police on duty at picket lines outside hospitals had already attracted attention for wearing badges supporting the nurses' campaign.
- All of us fourth and fifth graders are shuttled into the gym, where five cops are waiting in snug, pressed uniforms and shiny metal badges, with a whole squad of drug dogs on chains.
- The club received more than 150 entries from their competition to design a new badge, with fans invited to vote on the best three as selected by the club's marketing taskforce.
- Similar to the TV series, all you do to contact someone is press the talk button on the lapel badge, say their name, and you will be put through.
- Sophisticated I.D. badges designed to thwart counterfeiting are also growing in use at work and at schools.
- It was as if each person was displaying a little of their personal information along with their names on their identification badge.
- A tall blonde woman appeared at the end of the bed with a name badge that had the word ‘consultant’ on it.
- They wore brass-colored plastic name badges on their chests opposite their shirts' emblems.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.